HELP!! LORIKEETS LOVERS

duck-horselover

Chirping
Jul 17, 2015
hi
a friend of mine rescued a lorikeet and it is a runner, it has beak and feather disease and it was wild. It is juvenile has no bottom or wing feathers it lost them about 3-4 days ago and eats well. She asked me for help about what to feed it. It is a wild lorikeet and won;t touch lori seeds from pet stores. She feeds him banana, and heaps of flowers which are filled with pollen he hasn;t lost any weight but she wants to keep him healthy so is there anything anyone suggests. Please help i need to give her an answer soon.

Lorikeets are among the trickier of the parrot species to feed because they are nectar eaters. I would definitely recommend having her do some online research for recipes (I don't have any offhand, but there are tons of good ones all over the place). It may also be beneficial to talk to someone with experience owning these birds. Sometimes bird pet stores are an ok place to start if nothing else, though I would recommend a store that specializes in only birds. An avian vet is the best resource though, and having a bird with beak and feather disease, she may want to take him in for a check up. While she's there, she can pick the vet's brain about care (after all, you're paying for their knowledge!)

have never owned a lorikeet but here is a wet and dry recipe i have found for you and i hope it helps!

• Lorikeets should not be fed seed. Having said that, it has always been my experience that the larger lorikeets, such as the Rainbow and Scaly, readily eat seed if it is available. However if seed is made available (and canary seems to be the most favoured) it should be minor to a diet more suited to their digestive system. In captivity a nectar and pollen diet is not practical however there are several recipes for lorikeet diets available as well as good commercial mixes. My preference is to have a dry lorikeet mix always available, with a wet nectar mix provided fresh each day, along with plentiful fruit. Apple, pear, grapes, melon, paw paw, mango, oranges and tangerines are all usually enthusiastically eaten. In fact virtually any fruit except avocado can be given. Water, both as drinking and for bathing, is also required.
    A commonly used recipe for a dry lorikeet mix used in Australia by Stan Sindel, a very experienced lorikeet breeder, is made as follows
    • 2 cups rice baby cereal
    • 2 cups rice flour
    • 2 cups egg and biscuit mix
    • 1 cup glucose powder
    • 1 teaspoon vitamin-mineral powder
    • 1 dessertspoon pollen (optional)
    Ingredients mixed together dry and stored in air-tight containers preferably in a fridge.
    A possible wet nectar mix is as follows:
    • 1 litre water
    • 1 tablespoons pollen
    • 1 tablespoons of honey
    • 0.5 litres of high protein baby cereal
    • half teaspoon of calcium carbonate
    • half teaspoon of multivitamins
    • 0.1 litres of powdered skimmed milk
    Mix together (it should be a fairly watery mix) and freeze into ice cube trays. give each bird a melted ice cube (about a desert spoon in volume) each day.
    Any nectar bearing, fresh flowers are always greatly appreciated

If by "beak and feather disease" you mean actual PBFD, the kindest thing would be to have the bird euthanized. It's a fatal infection, and can easily be spread to other parrots.

Back
Top Bottom