Help Lost 2 chicks 3rd on the way

Kiltyppaul

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2020
We had 16 chicks, 3 blue Cochins lost 1, 3 Plymouth barred rock, 4 Americana lost 1, 2 golden comet, and 4 darker Cochin.
So far we lost 2 and a 3rd is going down fast. Have them in a large tote with heat around 85 from light. Feeding crumbles and fresh water a few times a day. The floor is puppy pads with wood chips on top. The current sick one has droopy wings and is weak. I can hold her to a cup of water and she will swallow what gets on her beak. At a loss. they all looked fine 2 days ago. They are about a week and a half old.

Attachments

• 97981F80-4584-4CF1-9A6C-87E4A1BFFE56.jpeg
    97981F80-4584-4CF1-9A6C-87E4A1BFFE56.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 13
The light is too hot, they all look like they’re trying to get away from it.

When they’re bunched up as far away from the light it means they’re too hot.

When they’re bunched up as close to the light as possible it means they’re cold.

When they’re roaming and sleeping all over the place with no particular preference then it’s perfect.

I have a thermometer in there under the light. It was much warmer in the house today and I lifted the light higher and scooted them from under it some more. There is a watered in there. The one that is not doing well I have in a separate tub now a little further from the light, and am helping it get some water. Looks to be feeling a little better. Last time we only had 6 chicks and it was much colder in the house. The temp on bedding under the light is 83. Sad we lost 2, but we are getting it figured out I think. I appreciate all the responses.

I have a thermometer in there under the light. It was much warmer in the house today and I lifted the light higher and scooted them from under it some more. There is a watered in there. The one that is not doing well I have in a separate tub now a little further from the light, and am helping it get some water. Looks to be feeling a little better. Last time we only had 6 chicks and it was much colder in the house. Sad we lost 2, but we are getting it figured out I think. I appreciate all the responses.

Good luck!

I have a thermometer in there under the light. It was much warmer in the house today and I lifted the light higher and scooted them from under it some more. There is a watered in there. The one that is not doing well I have in a separate tub now a little further from the light, and am helping it get some water. Looks to be feeling a little better. Last time we only had 6 chicks and it was much colder in the house. The temp on bedding under the light is 83. Sad we lost 2, but we are getting it figured out I think. I appreciate all the responses.

Glad it’s feeling better. Pretty soon you’ll need a bigger tub to let them roam some more. I have 21 chicks also around 1-2 wks old and have moved them to a much larger brooder and they’re loving the leg room.

Back
Top Bottom