Help-Lost one chick and another has a butt issue

griggy

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 3, 2014
Hi all,
I had 9 five or six week old chicks together inside. There were 6 Leghorns and 3 Golden Comets. My daughter had surgery today and when I got home, one of the comets was almost dead. Her entire backside was all bloody, her vent was protruding and there was blood everywhere. She died shortly after I got home.

A second Golden Comet has a yellowy substance on her vent and below. I tried wiping it off and rinsing it off with warm water. I separated the two remaining golden comets from the other 6. The Leghorns have pecked on the comets before resulting in bloody tails, so I'm not sure if they are sick or if they attacked the one or if they have two separate issues.

I'm not sure what to do. This is my first chicken loss and I don't want to lose the others :(

Sorry for your loss. They may be too crowded in their brooder or housing area. I would make sure they have plenty of room, install a little roost, rocks to climb on, and make sure they are getting 20% protein chick starter, and very little treats. Anti-picking lotions may be used, or Nustock and Bag Balm my be good to put on raw areas since it tastes bad. BluKote spray is good for hiding red areas. Watch their behavior, and separate any bullies for a day or two.

Leghorns....the ones I had as chicks were bullies. They pecked the EE's vents, faces, and featherless area under the wings to the point of drawing blood. Then they would gang up on the bloody chic, killing one by pulling out the vent! It happened while we were gone for 4 hours all 12 were well before that. They were in a large dog crate, had roosts, box with holes cut in it to climb on or hide in, tubes to hide in, a branch with bark to peck at.

The injured ones were taken out and doctored up, seperated by a screen divider so they could see each other but not get pecked. I put vicks on the chicks still with the leghorns, they quickly quit pecking not liking the taste. The victim chicks were sprayed with bluekote and divider taken out when healed. They would chase them around the crate but no longer pecked them.

The 2 leghorns continued being bullies as they aged, seperating them for periods of time calmed them down for awhile but something would set them off and back to pecking especially vents when all started laying. One died from becoming an internal layer, the other insane leghorn recently died from several injuries from I think a rat attack. The flock had a complete change are now quiet and can hear them purring, making happy noises more than ever before.

Clean the chicks butt, apply vaseline or neosporin if injured and keep an eye on her to see if she is pooing normally. Could be stress from being harassed by the leghorns. Or could be cocci, if that is case get Corid and treat them all by putting it in the drinking water.

Sorry for your loss hope your girls recover.
hugs.gif

Sounds like you need to keep them separated for awhile as Leg Horns are a bit aggressive and your Golden Comets are a lot more docile breed but just keep their vent areas clean for now and if you have some eggs in the house boil several of them up and remove the shell and mash then feed to your chicks this will give them some much needed protein and aid in their recovery some Probiotic & Electrolyte added to the water is also a good start ....

Have an enjoyable poultry weekend ..
D.gif

gander007
old.gif

Thanks all. The Leghorns moved outside with the big girls today and the two remaining ones are in the house. One looks fine..the other has a goopy discharge from her butt. I keep rinsing it off, but it doesn't really rinse off and isn't hard either. Don't know. Going to give them some egg and some electrolytes. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks all. The Leghorns moved outside with the big girls today and the two remaining ones are in the house. One looks fine..the other has a goopy discharge from her butt. I keep rinsing it off, but it doesn't really rinse off and isn't hard either. Don't know. Going to give them some egg and some electrolytes. Thanks for the advice.

Dawn dish soap work well and let it soak for a minute or so then rinse off
jumpy.gif

Poopy butt is still looking poopy but is eating and drinking and seems to be hanging in there. The six leghorns are adapting to the big girl coop and aren't bullying since they are now the small fries :) Hopefully we'll work it out. I appreciate all the help!

Back
Top Bottom