Help... mama heating pad or heat plate?

JenCee

Chirping
May 24, 2020
Washington (the left one)
First time prospective chicken mom. I read this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...he-brooder-lamp-or-the-heating-plate.1208318/ and have been very interested in doing the mama heating pad. It makes a ton of sense to me as I had already been going to do a heating plate for the same reason. We are hoping to get our chicks at the end of July, so with heat plates mostly being on backorder, I need to decide now which one to do.

What do you suggest for a newbie... heating plate or mama heating pad? I'd like to know your preference (and why) on brands for both. And if it's the heating pad... where the heck do you buy one that doesn't have the auto-shut off? Because even in the referenced thread above, the ones it links to are now auto shut off.

Last edited:
I own a Brinsea Eco Glow that I am happy with but recently looked into Mama Heating Pads too. The ones linked in that thread have an auto shut off feature that can be turned on or off as needed so they will work. When you look at images of the controller, it's easy to tell if it has the feature or not.

I ended up purchasing some chicks after my hatch didn't go as well as I wanted so I needed another heater. I saw another discussion that included using seedling mat so that's what I am using for the store chicks since I have it on hand.

I considered the heating pad route but splurged ended up going with a rentacoop heating plate. It is 12"x12". I bought ours online from mypetchicken, but it doesn't look like they have that size in stock right now. We are 2 weeks in and all seems to be going well!

I read both on the heating pad and plate forums to use Press & Seal on top - this was a fantastic recommendation! I highly recommend using it to cover the top, which makes cleaning much easier.

I ended up purchasing some chicks after my hatch didn't go as well as I wanted so I needed another heater. I saw another discussion that included using seedling mat so that's what I am using for the store chicks since I have it on hand.

I hadn't thought about using a seed mat! Are you still using the wire to support it? I'll need to research this for the future!

I hadn't thought about using a seed mat! Are you still using the wire to support it? I'll need to research this for the future!
As far as I know there's only one other person using a seedling mat. I only started using it yesterday so I haven't created a wire frame yet. That's today's project. For now it's wedged so it's hooped to create a cave for the chicks. It's clearly keeping them warm enough. I believe it needs a wire frame to support it because we know that the chicks will be getting on top of it! I don't want to risk injuries if there's chicks underneath.

As far as I know there's only one other person using a seedling mat. I only started using it yesterday so I haven't created a wire frame yet. That's today's project. For now it's wedged so it's hooped to create a cave for the chicks. It's clearly keeping them warm enough. I believe it needs a wire frame to support it because we know that the chicks will be getting on top of it! I don't want to risk injuries if there's chicks underneath.

I'm super curious about how this goes for you! We have a group of chicks now, a few more coming tomorrow, and then some more in a few weeks. I am thinking we may need two heating options at some point and I already have a seed-starting mat!

https://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-Microplush-XpressHeat-Settings-Auto-Off/dp/B008744QM4

This is the one I got from Amazon, it has an auto off button, use it fluffy side up,cotton side down on frame.
Have used it 2 years running and have been very happy with this set up.
It all depends on your own preference,I have not used a heat plate so can not comment on those :)

So do you put the heating pad on top of the frame, or underneath the frame? I was seeing talk about underneath because they can get their heads stuck between frame and heating pad if it's on top.

Back
Top Bottom