Help me! 4H Broilers. First timer

Cara Carter

Hatching
Dec 27, 2017
my son is showing for the first time and bring the competitive person I am I want him to do well. We have kept up with the temperatures, shavings and food as we were advised and my son goes out and stirs them up but I don’t think they are getting big fast enough! I don’t know if we are feeding wrong and now I’ve read turn the lamps off some and that we shouldn’t be stirring them. Help a Momma out!!!

?I don't know what you mean by stirring them up. Do you mean agitating them and stressing them out? If so - no you shouldn't do that.
Chickens don't need stress. They will always do better in a calm setting.
The lamps should be kept on around the clock for the first 3 to 5 days and then they need a dark period each night. I shoot for 8 hours of dark. Hemeral lighting is what all earthbound animals need.
To accomplish that, you need a non-light producing heat source when they are young. That could be a ceramic heat emitter or a brooder heat plate.

What is the feed?
How old are they?
How much do they weigh?
Are they Cornish cross or red rangers or something else?

Last edited:
I don't know what you mean by stirring them up. Do you mean agitating them and stressing them out? If so - no you shouldn't do that.
Chickens don't need stress. They will always do better in a calm setting.
The lamps should be kept on for the first 3 to 5 days and then they need a dark period each night. I shoot for 8 hours of dark. Hemeral lighting is what all earthbound animals need.
What is the feed, how old are they and are they Cornish cross or red rangers or something else?

We were told by the Ag teachers to get them up and moving often and that will make them eat and drink more. They are a few days shy of 4 weeks and are on a broiler complete/finisher. I’ve read several articles to feed them turkey starter from the beginning but we haven’t tried that. We also have Putin’s high octane show supplement that is 8oz for every 20lbs

Last edited:
What is the protein % of the feed? Broiler finisher is usually about 15% protein and that isn't sufficient for a fast start. Finisher is for slowing their growth to "finish" them.
You want something in the range of 20-22% the first few weeks.
Turkey starter at about 27% protein is too high.

They'll move around if you have the feed and water separated a bit.

Last edited:
Thank you very much! I will take all the help I can get. Here is a picture too

Attachments

• 0BD89378-A673-433E-A02E-D788F273EE8A.jpeg
    0BD89378-A673-433E-A02E-D788F273EE8A.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom