Help me brainstorm some FAQs about combs...

The Chicken Lady

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Apr 21, 2008
West Michigan
Nifty has given me the go-ahead to do an informative page about chicken combs (I got interested in the topic because of the comb contest)... but... I need a little help!

I'd like to come up with some FAQs (frequently asked questions) that people new to chickens may have about combs. You can just list a question that you've heard people ask before or that you're curious about... You don't have to provide the answer. I'll work on that while I research for my page.

Also, if you have any good remedies for healing injured combs or protecting combs (such as from frostbite) that have worked well for you, could you explain what the problem or issue was and what you did?

Thanks in advance!
smile.png

Who, What, When, Why & How outta cover it!
big_smile.png

Seriously ok...I'm new so let me write down the ones I've had or have

What are the different types of combs (either worldwide or recognized in the USA not sure how that works)

Describe them in great detail & maybe tell us why they were named accordingly (would love to know how they got a "rose" outta a rose comb)

What are they exactly? Skin? Living skin? Does it have blood vessels? Why is it red?

I think it would also be handy to have a photo of each type explaining in detail what to look for in terms of standards as well as injury/preliminary things to notice before something goes wrong...

Oh.. and then list all the common afflictions too.... frostbite, injury, bruising? blackhead? and so on

thats all I can think of for now....
cool.png

mine seem to get redder and lighter why? (well my chickens, I dont personally have a comb)

How big do they get? When they get a comb does that mean that they are getting ready to lay?

This is rather cool. It's a drawing showing the many types of chicken combs and what can result when breeds are crossed. The artist, Ross Simpson, is apparently difficult to contact (I found this picture on a blog), so I doubt I'll be able to use the actual image on my page but I can link to it. I thought you guys (especially the breeder/genetics people) might want to save it for your own reference because it's really cool.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_uHwFbRvQ4Mk...bstmGY/s1600-h/Chicken+Combs+Ross+Simpson.jpg

Back
Top Bottom