Help me decide on what chicken breed to get

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Love my Critters!, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I have silkies right now. They free range in a 1 acre fenced area and have a horse loafing shed that has been converted into a large coop that they can come and go from as they please. I want to get about 4 standard size hens that will be good layers. My silkies all think they have to be moms ALL the time [​IMG] I live in the dry desert and the summers get very hot, the winters are very mild. I do not have experience with other breeds and I need one that can handle our weather, not be too aggressive with my silkies, and be good layers. Can anyone please help me with choosing the right breed? Thanks!

2. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    The best breed for you would be red sexlinks. They are laying machines and very docile.

3. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Red Stars(also known as Cinnamon Queens, Red Sex-Links, and Golden Comets) are great! They are like laying machines and they are sooo friendly! [​IMG] [​IMG] We have 4. They are also great in cold/hot weather, as long as you provide a lamp. Ours have been laying all winter. This breed usually starts laying at a pretty early age; ours started at about 4-5 months, while it takes about 6-9 months for some other breeds to start. [​IMG]
    The Red Star lays tan or brown eggs; usually medium-XLarge, as long as you feed them enough protein(if you want large eggs). [​IMG]
    We love our Red Stars! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Look over the chart here > http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html for LOTS of info, for a smaller selection which covers the breeds that John Henderson has personal experience with look at the link at the top called "Our Flock" Both charts have very accurate info.

[edit] I don't think it mentions the sex-links either red or black in the charts, but they are nice too. I have friends with Comets... (red star, gold comets, few other names all the same, forget the names of the black ones, but the red ones would probably be better in a hot climate anyway)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  5. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

6. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Brahmas are heat hardy they should be very nice

7. bumblebeehillschickenfarm

bumblebeehillschickenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    maryland
    Red sexlinks are about the best bird out there for laying and great in cold weather.

8. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    If I lived someplace hot, I'd love to have Asils (also, Aseels). They're a very, very old breed from Asia. They are good mothers, good egg producers, and able to take care of themselves.

Just my 2 cents.

9. imfowl

imfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Louisiana
    Any sex links, RIR's or buff orps. The buff orps don't lay quite as well as the others, but are very friendly.

10. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Red-Sexlinks, Black-Sexlinks, RIRs, Barred Rocks and EEs. I love all these breeds. It gets up to 105* degrees here in the summer and I still get around 5 to 10 eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by