Help me decide on what chicken breed to get

Love my Critters!

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Carlsbad, NM
I have silkies right now. They free range in a 1 acre fenced area and have a horse loafing shed that has been converted into a large coop that they can come and go from as they please. I want to get about 4 standard size hens that will be good layers. My silkies all think they have to be moms ALL the time
barnie.gif
I live in the dry desert and the summers get very hot, the winters are very mild. I do not have experience with other breeds and I need one that can handle our weather, not be too aggressive with my silkies, and be good layers. Can anyone please help me with choosing the right breed? Thanks!

Red Stars(also known as Cinnamon Queens, Red Sex-Links, and Golden Comets) are great! They are like laying machines and they are sooo friendly!
love.gif
smile.png
We have 4. They are also great in cold/hot weather, as long as you provide a lamp. Ours have been laying all winter. This breed usually starts laying at a pretty early age; ours started at about 4-5 months, while it takes about 6-9 months for some other breeds to start.
thumbsup.gif

The Red Star lays tan or brown eggs; usually medium-XLarge, as long as you feed them enough protein(if you want large eggs).
pop.gif

We love our Red Stars!
love.gif
bow.gif
big_smile.png

Look over the chart here > http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html for LOTS of info, for a smaller selection which covers the breeds that John Henderson has personal experience with look at the link at the top called "Our Flock" Both charts have very accurate info.

[edit] I don't think it mentions the sex-links either red or black in the charts, but they are nice too. I have friends with Comets... (red star, gold comets, few other names all the same, forget the names of the black ones, but the red ones would probably be better in a hot climate anyway)

Last edited:
If I lived someplace hot, I'd love to have Asils (also, Aseels). They're a very, very old breed from Asia. They are good mothers, good egg producers, and able to take care of themselves.

Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom