Suddenly aggressive rooster - Please help

Sometimes tolerance gets mistaken for pleasure. To this day, I have not met a bird that likes pets. This is quite different to a good scratch in the comb, wattles, near the beak, and under the eyes. That, a lot of birds enjoy. But strictly the petting motion you'd do on a dog, is not something pleasing for a bird, sometimes merely tolerable
He does tolerate it... but he's learned that "ooh you want pets?" means that I'm going to pet him and he just stands there. I don't pet him like you would a dog, I give him a few scratches near the base of the tail where his feathers are thickest.

My cockerels spent 3 months with my pullets before being released in my flock. (the pullets weren't released for a couple more months) This gave my older hens time to teach my boys 'the ropes. Most of my chickens accept them now (they're 8 months old) The hands off approach is what works best for me.Spending a lot of time around my chickens seems to build trust more than anything I've tried.

In all the many years I have kept chickens I have had 2 roosters get aggresive with me. When the first one, a very large white rock and a new rooster for me about 15 months old attacked me on the first occasion it gave me a fright as I was not even looking at him when he attacked and he got me on the back of my legs. When I turned to see what was going on he ran away but I was ready for him the next time that he had a go. I acted like a rooster and gave him back what he was giving. Each time flew at me and tried to spur me I just used the back of my hand and tapped him hard enough on his chest to push him back about a foot away from me. He tried 6 or 7 times to get me but eventually decided he could not win so he turned tail and ran. He did show signs of wanting to attack me again a few day later but as soon as I bent over to take him on he turned and ran and that was the last time he he was ever aggressive. He died of old age about 7 years later
The second rooster A black Orpington age unknown but he had very big spurs, was probably 2.5 - 3 years old when he was given me. When he first arrived he was fine and quiet friendly but once he had settled in and chosen his hareem of hens he changed and became very aggressive. Again I just acted like I was a rooster and he got what he gave. Each time never lasted long before he would back off but he had a few tries before he decide it was not worth challenging me and he eventually started eating out of my hand along with the hens.

Back
Top Bottom