Suddenly aggressive rooster - Please help

For now, I would try to win his trust back. Show him kindness and plenty or respect. Keep your distance and maybe when you put your chickens away at night - try to bring him is favorite treat - maybe scratch grains, some sort of cereal, maybe sunflower seeds - just something that he remembers something nice that you did to him. Maybe let the good cover up the bad.

That would explain a lot. A simple bad experience with those shoes could do it. Now everytime he sees those shoes he remembers and thinks about the pain that he felt from those shoes.
So he's attacking the thing that attacked him? Seems like the problem has been partly solved

Maybe you can sit that pair of crocs in the coop or run for a while, and see what happens. I don't know if he will act differently when they are off your feet (so not moving as you walk.) But if he does attack, the crocs will not run away or fight back, and I don't think he would really hurt himself or them, so he might eventually decide that they are not a threat or challenge after all.
Thanks everyone! I'll try your idea @NatJ and for @fluffycrow and @chickens105 that's what I'm saying. Thanks for just letting me know that's defnitely probably what happened.

For now, I would try to win his trust back. Show him kindness and plenty or respect. Keep your distance and maybe when you put your chickens away at night - try to bring him is favorite treat - maybe scratch grains, some sort of cereal, maybe sunflower seeds - just something that he remembers something nice that you did to him. Maybe let the good cover up the bad.
He eats treats right out of my hands now, and lets me pet him every now and then. I give them a handful of treats right out of my hand every day, at least once.

Don't really pet him. Birds don't enjoy that. I'm glad he's grown to be more tolerant, but he's not a bird who likes being petted
No, he does! He'll sit down if he wants to be petted, and while I'm petting him, if I stop, he just sits there waiting for more. I've pet them all my life, so he's used to it, and seems to enjoy it. I give him treats while petting him, so that helps too.

No, he does! He'll sit down if he wants to be petted, and while I'm petting him, if I stop, he just sits there waiting for more. I've pet them all my life, so he's used to it, and seems to enjoy it. I give him treats while petting him, so that helps too.

Sometimes tolerance gets mistaken for pleasure. To this day, I have not met a bird that likes pets. This is quite different to a good scratch in the comb, wattles, near the beak, and under the eyes. That, a lot of birds enjoy. But strictly the petting motion you'd do on a dog, is not something pleasing for a bird, sometimes merely tolerable

Sometimes tolerance gets mistaken for pleasure. To this day, I have not met a bird that likes pets. This is quite different to a good scratch in the comb, wattles, near the beak, and under the eyes. That, a lot of birds enjoy. But strictly the petting motion you'd do on a dog, is not something pleasing for a bird, sometimes merely tolerable
All I have to say is “Who wants to be pet?!” And my chickens take off for the hills…

Back
Top Bottom