Help me decide! Trio of scovys vs. pair of sebbies

rilly10

Clover Field Farm
9 Years
May 18, 2010
Pottstown, PA
So this is my first post (of hopefully many) in the waterfowl sections!

Sooooo...I need help deciding between a trio of muscovys vs a pair or sebbies.

I am looking for eggs for baking but mostly pets. I have a large fenced in yard and wanted to section off an area, add a doghouse (which they would be locked in at night) and add a kiddie pool. The yard is about half an acre which they would have all day, only to be locked in their pen when the dogs are out, and in their house at night.

Based on this set up (which I would be happy to hear suggestions on) which do you think would be happier? Also, which are friendlier/make better pets?

Sebbies = Sebastopol geese?

Anywho, Muscovies aren't really laying birds. They will lay ONLY when they want to raise a clutch. So, you won't have a steady supply of eggs with them. If you take eggs from a nest, they will move said nest until you can't find it anymore OR, if they don't move it, will only lay for 4-5 days and then quit. At least, this is what I've found with mine.

If you want duck eggs for baking, I suggest an egg laying breed. Khaki Campbells are pretty well known and you can get them from many hatcheries. I have Welsh Harlequins which are, or so I've heard, excellent layers - but I have yet to get any eggs out of them because they're young still. Runners in general are good layers. Metzers has several developed breeds of duck, too, for egg production.

Thanks! The egg laying would be a plus but not necessary. I do have tons of chickens that can help out there!
lau.gif

I did mean sebastopol geede by sebbies. I love their looks. And heard they are very friendly.

The muscovys I like because I heard they are quiet, great for bugs, and easy to care for. I alos love all the colors they come in.

This is a really tough decision! I wish I could get both!

I'd vote sebbies. My geese are a lot friendlier than my ducks.

I vote Sebbies! I just got two pairs of them two days ago, and even though they're not tame and scared to death of me, I'm absolutely in love with them! They're big sissies - even though they're terrified of me, they're not aggressive at all.
smile.png

Thanks for the replies!!! How do you all house your sebbies? These would be my first geese. I have a fenced in yard (4 foot welded wire post and rail) so they would be safe out during the day, but what do you do with yours at night? I want them to be safe. Also, are they flightless like silkies or frizzles due to their feathers? Would 2 girls be ok without a gander?

One more question! Could I get one goose and 2 ducks? Would they get along ok or should I stick with one or the other?

They aren't going to fly very far because most domestic geese don't due to their size. Two girls would be fine without a gander. If i were you i would stick with getting the two geese because geese prefer to be with their own kind.

Back
Top Bottom