Help me decide what breed layer to get! Buff orp, Delaware, Speckled Sussex

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SportTees, Jan 4, 2016.

1. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I've narrowed it down to my 3 favorites : Buff orpington, Delaware, or speckled Sussex. I haven't found anyone selling locally yet so they will probably end up being hatchery birds. I just can't make up my mind which ones to get and which hatchery to get them from! ( I've used Ideal in the past )

2. Loc20chick

Loc20chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    Eastern Shore MD
    Why not one of each since they are all dual purpose birds?.

3. SportTees

I'm not wanting mixed breed birds once they start breeding. I have only have two pens set up so I need to narrow it down to 1 or 2 breeds at most for now.

4. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    If I didn't have family to consider, I'd have only one breed. We have Naked Necks, White Chanteclers and Dark Cornish.

With your breeds, I'd go for the Sussex. Cackle Hatchery used to have some very nice ones...don't know if they still deal with them or not. Just checked...they still have them.

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=speckled+Sussex

5. applebutter14

applebutter14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    i think you should get buff orpingtons

6. SportTees

Thank you

7. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    The Orpingtons are excellent birds but they are prone to disease, as are all birds. However, the Sussex have considerably more resistance to many of the more lethal ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by