RenegadeSkate3

Chirping
Jul 3, 2018
This is a topic of me asking guidance trough the lockdown of these button quail.... they’ve been in lockdown for since day 13.... it’s day 14 today soon to be day 15... if you can please tell me what I need to do to help these hatch successfully!

407E5500-88DE-466B-B67D-ABE9FC6B571C.jpeg
As you all know thanks to my profile picture those are button quail! You can see the brinsea mini advance II working on them... what can I do other than wait?

Just have to wait. Usually, when one starts to 'unzip', the rest should be close behind. They hatch kind of quickly. You can see them trying to break through with their beak, leave for an hour then go back and see all these little ones trying to move around. It's quick. Have brooder kind of set. Make sure have non slip bottom like rubber type shelf liner. Very important so don't get splay legged. Also, I use 40 or 60 watt light bulb, none of those high wattage heat bulbs. Marbles in water. Don't want them to get wet and chilled or drown. I've used soda bottle cap with colored rocks. Once dried off, they move very quick! Cover brooder with soft top after week old. Good luck.

Button quail take 17 days to hatch. With what you said for days, today should be day 16. If you start looking closely, you may start to see a tiny spot where they are trying to peck out. It will be there for a while before they start to unzip out. Let's wait until Monday when it's day 18 and see what's happened with the eggs. Sometimes the eggs may not hatch until day 18 or even 19 if the temp wasn't high enough. I've found many times when my temps weren't high enough. Waiting is always the hardest.

Back
Top Bottom