Help me help my chickens

Bird63

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2018
I have some chickens that I think have a cold or upper respiratory infection. I was told to get some Tylan 50 which I did but I can't inject it myself and was told that I could put in their water but wasn't told how much or how often. Does anyone know? I am wanting to do this right now now while I have a chance but don't want to do it wrong. HELP!!

You can give .50ml-1ml right into the chickens beak. Altho it will work better and faster if you inject it. I wouldn't put it in the water. They might not drink the water because of the taste and you wont know if you are overdosing some and underdosing others.

You can give .50ml-1ml right into the chickens beak. Altho it will work better and faster if you inject it. I wouldn't put it in the water. They might not drink the water because of the taste and you wont know if you are overdosing some and underdosing others.
I thnk that's the cattle dose, which is not enough for chickens.

I was doing it as .25ml per lb. Just was thinking my girl was about 4lbs when I gave it to her so I gave her 1ml 2x a day. .25ml x4lbs=1ml.
Are you injecting it? I just don't feel comfy doing it that way. I know you do it on one side of their body due to most organs on on the other side but I don't like sticking needles in anything. I am looking for something to help them without using a needle. I am also rubbing VetRX around their beak, under wings.

Are you injecting it? I just don't feel comfy doing it that way. I know you do it on one side of their body due to most organs on on the other side but I don't like sticking needles in anything. I am looking for something to help them without using a needle. I am also rubbing VetRX around their beak, under wings.
I did inject it. I'm a nurse so I'm super comfy with needles :D

I was doing it as .25ml per lb. Just was thinking my girl was about 4lbs when I gave it to her so I gave her 1ml 2x a day. .25ml x4lbs=1ml.
The daily dose is meant to be 1 ml per pound of body weight, so at 4 pounds I would have given 1.33 ml 3 times a day or 2 ml twice a day. Sadly most people way under dose when using Tylan. :(

You can give it orally.

0.33 ml per pound of body weight 3 times a day. If one can't do 3 times a day it's 0.25 ml per pound of body wight twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom