HELP ME HELP THEM..... PLEASE!!

Oh and usually this is caused by slippery surfaces in the incubator or even the brooder. Especially in the incubator, the floor becomes very wet and slippery causing chicks to slip and strain tendons. Make sure you lay some of that rubber shelf liner down in your incubator next time, then put the eggs on top.
There is foam matting in my incubator, no slipping. They came out of the egg like this.

There is foam matting in my incubator, no slipping. They came out of the egg like this.

Then I would guess that they have a vitamin deficiency of some sort that is causing weak legs. You will still need to wrap the legs. But I would add a good poultry supplement to their water. Something with a lot of the B's and E vitamins. Hard boiled chopped eggs contain all these and more, all the building blocks of life. The beauty of eggs is it's a good emergency food for chicks and can be fed for a short extended period of time without compromising the fact that they will eat less chick starter. I would feed egg a few times day, only what they will eat in 5 mins. Clean up with they don't eat, don't leave egg in the brooder under all that heat as it will grow bacteria over time. But definitely find a good supplement to add, sounds like they have deficiencies.

Then I would guess that they have a vitamin deficiency of some sort that is causing weak legs. You will still need to wrap the legs. But I would add a good poultry supplement to their water. Something with a lot of the B's and E vitamins. Hard boiled chopped eggs contain all these and more, all the building blocks of life. The beauty of eggs is it's a good emergency food for chicks and can be fed for a short extended period of time without compromising the fact that they will eat less chick starter. I would feed egg a few times day, only what they will eat in 5 mins. Clean up with they don't eat, don't leave egg in the brooder under all that heat as it will grow bacteria over time. But definitely find a good supplement to add, sounds like they have deficiencies.
Thanks so much. I’m going to feed store for more baby feed, so I’ll get the vitamins they need. B & E right?

Thanks so much. I’m going to feed store for more baby feed, so I’ll get the vitamins they need. B & E right?

I'd also get some Nutridrench or some other kind of vitamin supplement designed to help chicks who are failing to thrive, they're usually some kind of liquid or powdered vitamins you can add to their water source. There's several brands of that kind of thing available.

And this might seem a bit unconventional but I had one baby that was a bit lethargic, weak, and dehydrated, and I cracked one of my own room temperature chicken eggs (from my hens) into a jar lid and fed the broken yolk to them raw (no white). All the chicks drank it right up and the weak chick recovered very quickly afterwards. I think it was the double whammy of easily-absorbed food + instant hydration. I don't think I'd trust a grocery store egg for this though because it'd be cold first off (which would chill the chicks) and might carry salmonella or something, so it depends on whether you have other backyard hens or not.

Yes, the B's and E will help strengthen all their muscles. The chicks no doubt are deficient with other vitamins so get something with a variety of nutrients. I would avoid supplements with too many electrolytes as they are mainly salts and sugars and chicks don't need that stuff. But if that is all you can find, use it.

And make sure to get their legs taped up today. If you wait too long, the tendons won't repair.

Yes, the B's and E will help strengthen all their muscles. The chicks no doubt are deficient with other vitamins so get something with a variety of nutrients. I would avoid supplements with too many electrolytes as they are mainly salts and sugars and chicks don't need that stuff. But if that is all you can find, use it.

And make sure to get their legs taped up today. If you wait too long, the tendons won't repair.
I got them strapped with vet tape. About 2 hours now. Only thing feed store had is electrolytes but I got it. They haven’t drank or eaten anything yet, I keep showing them the water. Thinking about giving a few drops with dropper, what do you think?

I got them strapped with vet tape. About 2 hours now. Only thing feed store had is electrolytes but I got it. They haven’t drank or eaten anything yet, I keep showing them the water. Thinking about giving a few drops with dropper, what do you think?

Do the electrolytes have vitamins in them? If not, I would skip them. You can use them in the summer when it's hot and birds lose their own electrolytes. If it's easy for you to drizzle water into beaks that will work, just be careful you don't aspirate them. I usually pick each one up and dip their beaks in the water so they can drink. You will need to do this hourly until they can walk to the water themselves. Sprinkle chick starter at their feet and tap with your finger at it to get them started eating. But make sure they drink before eating to prevent pasty butt.

You might also feed them some hard boiled eggs when they are starting to eat. Just keep working with them to eat and drink. The leg wraps are going to take 5 to 7 days to strengthen the legs enough to remove them from their legs.

Last edited:
Yes the electrolytes have vitamins, I made sure of it before I bought them. They decided that they were ready to start eating once I gave them a drink, so I’m making sure they get plenty to drink since there are eating now. Everybody looks good, except for little Precious, she’s not as spunky as the rest of them, but I’m keeping a real close eye on that one.
Of all the hatches I’ve done, (4), I’ve never had any problems. I’d show them the food and water, and they were fine. These were shipped eggs, not from my flock. I’m gonna be a mess until these babies are good and healthy, so stick with me everyone, I’m sure I’ll have more questions.
AND THANK YOU ALL :love:hugs:love

Oh and usually this is caused by slippery surfaces in the incubator or even the brooder. Especially in the incubator, the floor becomes very wet and slippery causing chicks to slip and strain tendons. Make sure you lay some of that rubber shelf liner down in your incubator next time, then put the eggs on top.
In agriculture, splayleg is considered both a genetic and/positional condition. I've seen multiple forms of treatment, most involve the hobbling methods shown here. Be sure you are feeding starter: extra calcium must be added if you are not. If this is positional, they will recover fairly quickly. Early intervention is the key.

In agriculture, splayleg is considered both a genetic and/positional condition. I've seen multiple forms of treatment, most involve the hobbling methods shown here. Be sure you are feeding starter: extra calcium must be added if you are not. If this is positional, they will recover fairly quickly. Early intervention is the key.
Yeah, I always feed my babies chick starter. I’m hoping they heal fast. Poor babies.

Back
Top Bottom