HElp me .. I have a TON of thisTle!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by midwestmilkmaiden, Mar 6, 2009.

1. midwestmilkmaiden

midwestmilkmaiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    So.. we bought our Blessed home about 2 years ago now.. got goats for our 2 acres and now are realizing our pasture is full of thistle!!..
    No good for the goats .. and us especially! so.. is i'm wondering if there's some trick somebody has up their sleeve for irradicating these beasts!
    can't really use an herbicide cuz the goats graze on it.. but it's TAkiNg OveR!!.. also have wild parsnip!! what can i do!??

2. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you contacted your local extension office for help? I know some are better than others.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Growing up, the only way we could get rid of thistle was to use Roundup.

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    If you find something that works, PLEASE let me know. I've been battling this for years in my flowerbeds. I've tried all sorts of chemicals and nothing kills them totally (they might die back a little but send out another shoot). Only thing that works temporarily is to pull them out while they're small. Obviously you can't do that in your pasture. Wish I could help.

5. midwestmilkmaiden

midwestmilkmaiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    [​IMG][​IMG]... Well .. thanks.. if i find something that works .. I'll let ya know.
    looks like i might be spending alot of time diggin' up the suckers this spring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by