Help me ID these fertile eggs from the grocery store?

NaomiSarah

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 4, 2010
62231_002.jpg

I had to use a flash so they're a bit lightened, but they're speckled like a welsummer egg. I'm just wondering if there are other breeds (other than the Maran and the Welsummer) that lay these style of eggs? They're size XL, sixty grams by weight, and I can't believe I found them in the store. Also wondering, does anyone have pics of these breeds as newly hatched chicks? I did a google search but I don't actually know which of the results were really those types of chicks, there were so many different looking ones... Will I be able to tell the difference berween the two chick types when they hatch? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, my experience with the different breeds is sooo limited!

PS... pardon my garish pajama pants

Hard to say what color they really are (photos are always tough) but if they came from a grocery store and were XL, they probably came from one of the production hybrids or breeds. Most likely a Red Sex Link, aka Star, Comet.... Maybe a production red. I've been surprised how nicely colored some store eggs are. Most of my brown layers lay a light brown/cream/pinky egg.

Anyone trying to make money selling eggs would not be using Marans or Welsummers that's for sure.

They're darker than the picture gives with the flash and the speckles are very prominent. From what I can see online, the Comet eggs look really similar but mine have such a copper-y type of color to them that the picture doesn't do justice for.

The eggs come from a small (but technically commercial) farm nearby here, and I know that you can't tell the breed by the shell alone, I'm just trying to get some good guesses so that I can look at chick pics for the next 3 weeks and when they're hatched I can go AHA!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom