HELP ME! MY ROO IS TRYING TO ATTACK ME!

I don't play that very long before I send them to freezer camp. But I do give them a chance to change their ways first. During that trial period, I carry a stick of some sort and kind of swing it back and forth around me to keep them from approaching too closely.

I'm laughing so hard! The headline instantly reminded me (I'm 73) of my grandmother's rooster constantly chasing and attacking my older sister (about age 7)... LOL, we had fried chicken for dinner... end of problem... poor rooster...

I’m new to tending chickens, but I’m determined to keep a respectful relationship with my two roos. I noticed my top roo begins to act aggressive towards me after I’ve been gone longer than normal. If I ignore the chickens all day and then have someone else put them to bed for me-he’s likely to be more aggressive the next time he sees me. Obviously, there will be days I can’t give them as much attention, so if I’m going to be around him after a gap in time, then I just carry the rake with me-not as a weapon but just to keep a barrier between us. He doesn’t even come near me when I have it. I’m working on developing a routine of checking on them during the day but if I can’t, then I make sure to spend time hanging with them for a few extra minutes in the morning and evening when letting them out and tucking them in. On my days off-I’m usually working on a project outdoors-which they love to follow me around and keep me company. I believe it all boils down to building trust. I want them to trust me and feel safe-I will never hurt them unless I feel like I have no other choice in defense. When it come to people who are not around as much-I caution them and tell them to keep the rake with them. So far, so good.

Guys my Roo (Pickles) has been acting very hormonal since we got back from our holiday.
He was usually very protective of his hens which was great but now he seems to be attacking my family (@PippinTheChicken) and I whenever we go outside (and we aren't acting threatening or going near the hens).

Just a few minutes ago he started chasing me for no reason and he nearly got me! We had to lock him in the kitchen untill he left! It left me shaking!

Guys what can we do? We are currently in the process of re-homing him but what can we do untill we find him a new home? We are fearful as he may also attack our dog or the hens! Please help! 😰😰😰😰😰🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙍🙍🙍🙍
Hi my rooster did the same thing but to the point he actually pushed me out of the coop while I was cleaning it.
We have a 30ft enclosed run area, so we separated the rooster at the other end of the run in a 10ft section with a lattice fence so he can still see the girls but can't attack me. He has his own food and water & i still give him treats like I give the girls.
My husband built a dog house in that area so he has somewhere to sleep at night.
I couldn't kill him as we had him as a chick & really had grown attached to him. Anyway he's a pretty good watch rooster as anyone comes into the yard he let's us know.
I hope this helps.

Hi my rooster did the same thing but to the point he actually pushed me out of the coop while I was cleaning it.
We have a 30ft enclosed run area, so we separated the rooster at the other end of the run in a 10ft section with a lattice fence so he can still see the girls but can't attack me. He has his own food and water & i still give him treats like I give the girls.
My husband built a dog house in that area so he has somewhere to sleep at night.
I couldn't kill him as we had him as a chick & really had grown attached to him. Anyway he's a pretty good watch rooster as anyone comes into the yard he let's us know.
I hope this helps.

Our roo was like that but he is getting much more agressive so we can't live in fear of going into the garden 😂😰
My Barred Rock roo, Russell Crowe, is meaner than a snake. I dare not go outside without my big stick, which I’ve nailed him with a few times. Last time, he ran up my big flight of porch steps to get me, so I turned and came down on his back, like I was chopping wood. He limped for a week, but he’s fine, now, and looking to settle the score. So I asked my Mexican yard man if he wants him. “Si!” Now that the hurricane has passed, I’m waiting for him to come get Russell. I don’t do yard work with him around bc it’s too hard to keep an eye out for him. And, he sneaks up quietly.

I wonder if he’ll become arroz con pollo or paella? I don’t really care as long as I’m not expected to do the deed.

We had a rooster that became so aggresive, he flew into a window trying to attack. . We caged him until he was rehomed. . He was a beautiful bird with a bad attitude!

Our first rooster was a total jerk, a little bantam who could fly up to eyeball level to attack. Horrible! We put up with him too long, carrying a weapon to fend him off whenever we were out there. It was a learning experience, and we learned.
Next, we tried to reform a few cockerels who decided to be human aggressive, and never did it really work; none of them were reliably safe around people.
Now, life is too short to put up with this sort of behavior, and all our cockerels and roosters respect our space, and spend their time interacting with their flockmates, not stalking the giants who bring food every day!
Respect them for the good they do, and realize that human aggression is genetic, not so related to management, and a bad one can do real harm!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom