Help me name these quail colors please

CovidtimeQuail

Highly quailified
Nov 28, 2020
Honolulu, HI
This one (bird 1) is my favorite color, but I have no idea if it has a name. . .

They're five weeks old and about 3/4 the size of my other birds; they still have "bed head" feathers. I have a feeling these are just the way the feathers are going to be.
tricolor-quail.png

This one (bird 1) is my favorite color, but I have no idea if it has a name. . .

They're five weeks old and about 3/4 the size of my other birds; they still have "bed head" feathers. I have a feeling these are just the way the feathers are going to be.
View attachment 2504538
Here (bird 2) is the one that looked a little Italian but is pinkish. It is a little less pink now, more of a light tan.View attachment 2504542
Here are three more. The one on the left looks like a rosetta with white wings, I think. The one on the right is hard to see, basically a darkish color with white wings.

View attachment 2504547
The first one looks similar to a pharaoh but slightly different and I’m not too sure. I’ve seen something similar to your second one on a website for adopting animals. I’m not sure what it is but it definitely looks similar to an Italian. Did you breed these? They’re all sooooo beautiful! 🥰 The last three I’m unsure of but the left one looks like a Rosetta but you already said that. :)

The first one looks similar to a pharaoh but slightly different and I’m not too sure. I’ve seen something similar to your second one on a website for adopting animals. I’m not sure what it is but it definitely looks similar to an Italian. Did you breed these? They’re all sooooo beautiful! 🥰 The last three I’m unsure of but the left one looks like a Rosetta but you already said that. :)
They're my first homegrowns! Roo is a celadon Tibetan and the hen is a light Italian. I thought they might turn out more uniform, but they're all different. What surprises me most are the ones with three colors mixed on their body feathers.

View attachment 2504538
that looks to be a pansy fee (from the amount of brown leakage it appears a first generation fee x pansy)

that looks to be a pansy fee (from the amount of brown leakage it appears a first generation fee x pansy)
I was thinking some type of pansy fee, with one copy of fee. Can we get a better photo of the light Italian chick, I can’t tell if the spots are black or brown. Once they go outside and get more protein, I think their feathers will improve after they molt.

can you post photos of the parents, that might help us also.

I was thinking some type of pansy fee, with one copy of fee. Can we get a better photo of the light Italian chick, I can’t tell if the spots are black or brown. Once they go outside and get more protein, I think their feathers will improve after they molt.

can you post photos of the parents, that might help us also.
As you can tell, I do more “color genetics for dummies” version of real world experience vs the purely scientific descriptions. I pick up this stuff by running mixed colors hatching and I actually got my first pansy fee which looked similar to this chick by accident when hatching my own eggs. There was major difference in this hen’s coloring vs my Pansy Fee myshire hatch and even more difference vs @Kiki homegrown hatch from her myshire pansy fee quail.
The Black/White coloring is more pure as the color genetics (fee genes) get stronger with the only remaining brown leakage being in the head feathers of the males.

Back
Top Bottom