Help me out I have a two day old chick!

Casperrr_101

Hatching
May 10, 2021
So I took in a rescue chick that I found that’s was abandoned. This chick is two days old. And it can’t stand because it always falls down. Also his or her leg shakes when laying down. This chick chirps when sleeping and I don’t know why I’m really confused. Can someone please help me out with some answers It’s my first time raising a chick this young.

Attachments

• BB66E940-E2C6-42D5-B5C8-AD411D8BAB30.jpeg
    BB66E940-E2C6-42D5-B5C8-AD411D8BAB30.jpeg
    405.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 80897747-2E4F-473A-A2DD-BDAAFFA9DAC7.jpeg
    80897747-2E4F-473A-A2DD-BDAAFFA9DAC7.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 19
I originally found it as an abandoned egg. And my dove had eggs so I put the egg with the dove and it hatched. The dove then left him because it noticed it wasn’t his child. I brought him to my house and I’m taking care of him the best I can. It’s currently two days old. I don’t remember to actual day I found the egg. It currently has a heat lamp.

So you didn't rescue a chick, you hatched an egg you found? Where are you that eggs are laying around?

Chicks need to be in a brooder at 95 degrees to start. You will need to warm it up if it is cold. Also, it's best to not just raise 1 chick, provided it survives, but unless you are prepared to keep chickens, maybe you should look for someone else who has young chicks and give it to them.

Do you even have chick feed and electrolytes? It may need some NutriDrench or similar if can't even stand up.

Do you have supplies? Chick starter and such? Have you offered it water? Test the temperature and get it to 95 degrees. The hay may be difficult for it to walk on as it's awful lumpy, bumpy, and uneven. Try something a little more flat and smooth, but NOT slick. You want it to have grip. A

Do you have supplies? Chick starter and such? Have you offered it water? Test the temperature and get it to 95 degrees. The hay may be difficult for it to walk on as it's awful lumpy, bumpy, and uneven. Try something a little more flat and smooth, but NOT slick. You want it to have grip. A
Sorry, i accidentally posted this that before i was done typing... A chick tends to peep while sleeping if it's stressed, cold, in pain, scared, lonely, etc. The slightest noises can keep it from being able to rest, so keep it quiet for awhile. Does it seem to have anything wrong with its legs, or does the stumbling and falling seem like its because of balance? It needs stability. The first moments and days of learning to use its legs properly is important. You probably need to work with it. Put it on its feet and use your hands to stabilize it and encourage it to stay upright. Chicks really need companions to help eachother learn and for comfort. Theres also not much room in that tub for its depth perception to judge a distance for balance and momentum to get used to a walk.

It takes it a couple days to learn how to walk. So stumbling around is normal. But if you notice as it gets older that it still can’t walk, then there could be a serious issue.

Back
Top Bottom