Suggestions on baby chick

MoaAloha

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2023
I got a few Perrier bluebell chicks from TractorSup. About 2 weeks old now.
one of those baby’s wasn’t doing too good.
I separated it. noticed it look like it was dizzy. Falling over etc.
I gave it nutrients by syringe. It started to eat on its own. Looked like it got better. But now it’s shaking.
I’m going to try post a video.
It’s warm. I have a light and it’s inside so I can keep a close eye.
Video can’t be posted. It is smaller than the rest and slow growing.

If you can get Poultry Nutri-Drench I'd add some to the water, plus direct dose a few drops to the chick via syringe.

What are you feeding them? I assume you've been brooding entirely indoors? What are the temperatures in the brooder, both high and low?

If you can get Poultry Nutri-Drench I'd add some to the water, plus direct dose a few drops to the chick via syringe.

What are you feeding them? I assume you've been brooding entirely indoors? What are the temperatures in the brooder, both high and low?
I’m feeding her medicated chick starter. It’s about 86 degrees. Indoors yes.

I’m feeding her medicated chick starter. It’s about 86 degrees. Indoors yes.
I doubt temperature is directly a cause but 86 throughout or 86 in the hotter area and __? in the cooler? Chicks should have warm and cool zones where they can get warmed up and then get away from it when they don't want it.

You mentioned it's smaller than the others, can you post a photo or two (no red light) with another chick for comparison? Or videos can be posted to youtube or to the Gallery here and then linked in the post.

I doubt temperature is directly a cause but 86 throughout or 86 in the hotter area and __? in the cooler? Chicks should have warm and cool zones where they can get warmed up and then get away from it when they don't want it.

You mentioned it's smaller than the others, can you post a photo or two (no red light) with another chick for comparison? Or videos can be posted to youtube or to the Gallery here and then linked in the post.
86 in the hotter area. There is space to get out of heat. I didn’t want to mix the babies incase it’s contagious. But I will share pic. I will try do a video tomorrow. Brown baby is the shaky one. She shakes when she stands. But eats and drinks water. Her head also leans to one side. But she can move it around like normal.

Attachments

• IMG_8175.jpeg
    IMG_8175.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8178.jpeg
    IMG_8178.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8176.jpeg
    IMG_8176.jpeg
    538.3 KB · Views: 2
Wry neck is a possible issue if her default head and neck position is crooked. I... haven't dealt with it in quite a while so I can't remember details, but you want to provide vit B complex, vit E (you can use what you find in the human vitamin section, liquid is the easiest) and selenium (for absorption, it's in eggs, tuna, BOSS). Assuming your medicated feed contains amprolium you want to discontinue that for now as it may interfere with thiamine absorption.

Back
Top Bottom