Guy at TSC recommended some bird seed to me for my chickens a/ flaxseed oil in it. Is this ok to give to my girls in small doses as treats?

KTay11

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2024
I was chatting with the guy at tractor supply about chickens, and how they like seeds and whatnot and he was like “oh I have this, it’s in the bird aisle but the chicks love it” and so I got it thinking that it was great because it’s got a bit of red pepper in it and seeds and whatnot all in one. I plan to just use it to give the girls little handfuls. So I gave it a Google and for some reason googled flaxseed first and I am now reading that it can be damaging to their liver and/or kidneys..Is this true? Do yall think I should just not use this, or just in small doses and not every day? I uploaded images of the ingredients and the front of the bag. I don’t see why he’d sell it to me if it wasn’t good for my chicks, because most of the time those employees are so helpful and mostly knowledgeable, so I just trusted him and also he like handed it to me and followed me to the counter and rang me out so I may have felt some pressure haha. TIA
IMG_7864.jpeg
IMG_7863.jpeg

I personally wouldn’t buy it feed it. It has hot pepper in it. I don’t feed my chickens/ducks seeds at all let alone spicy things. I do know that spicy is not good for them. And those are do wild birds. But! I do feed them sprouts out of a grass bed in their run. They love it!

I actually ADD flax seed to the grain mix I ferment. Not very much though as it gets mushy. I bought it to add because I read about all of its benefits, of which of course, I couldn't quote you right now and too lazy to google it. :)

Like others said, what you bought should be fine for a treat.

I wouldn’t it’s for cardinals, finch’s, and other songbirds. IMO.
Free ranging chickens are getting it anyway from what spills under bird feeders. OP is just feeding it as a treat, not their meal. I would never, ever advise raising a chicken on bird feed. They wouldn't survive most likely. I also don't add red pepper flakes but many, many people believe in those preventing worms and keeping rats and mice out of the feed, so they add those to their feed. Chickens can't taste the hot or spiciness of them.

Free ranging chickens are getting it anyway from what spills under bird feeders. OP is just feeding it as a treat, not their meal. I would never, ever advise raising a chicken on bird feed. They wouldn't survive most likely. I also don't add red pepper flakes but many, many people believe in those preventing worms and keeping rats and mice out of the feed, so they add those to their feed. Chickens can't taste the hot or spiciness of them.
These are all valid points!
I had read that peppers are bad for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom