Help me pick 4 breeds!

Lifewithchicks

Songster
Mar 11, 2018
Texas
I think I have my husband talked into 4 more chicks :woot

I’ve found a farm nearby that has rare breeds. I want 4 different chicks of different breeds.
Requirements: friendly with kids (would love another “lap chicken”), can handle Texas summers and winters, and look different! I have buff Orpingtons and barred rocks, so I want these to look different from the flock I already have.

Choices:

Blue Wyandottes - Blue Australorps -Silver Leghorns - Spangled Russian Orloffs - Salmon Favorelles - Barnevelder - Cream Brabanters -Exchequer Leghorns -
Welsummer - Speckled Sussex - Silver Laced Wyandottes - Gold Laced Wyandottes - Ameraucana/EE - Olive Eggers - Black Jersey Giants - Buckeyes -
Cinnamon Queen - Black Australorp - Rhode Island Red- White Leghorn - Black Sexlink - AustraWhites- Delaware -

A lot of choices, I know! Pick 4!

{ My short list is
Welsummer, Australorp, Ameracauna/EE/Olive Egger, Speckled Sussex, Wyandotte but I’m totally open to others you’ve had good experiences with! }

In Texas, I'd go for large combed birds. How many in original group, what are their ages? And do you have enough coop space to give at least 4 s.f./bird?

I have 2 BO’s and 2 BR’s. They are about to be 3. The coop is big and built for 8 birds and we have attached a large run to it that they always have access to. They also free range most days.

I'd really suggest:
Exchequer Leghorns -Do good in heat, tolerate confinement well, calm and puppy-like (in my experience)
Silver Leghorns - (see above)
Delaware - Hardy birds, tolerates confinement but does better free range, calm but not especially friendly.
Ameraucana/EE -Heat hardy, tolerates confinement well, friendly.

My wyandottes do well in 100* weather, their combs grow larger in the summer. Wyandottes are also friendly birds.

Leghorns are exceptionally good in hot areas. If you get them I would spend some extra time with them ad chicks as they tend to be flighty, but they are really friendly if you work with them.

I was going to say orpington before I saw you already have some, they're my favourite breed

Black australorp is always a good choice, we've had a few in the past and our one girl at the moment is my favourite hen. She follows us around and is generally very curious
Speckled sussex could be nice, we've only had light sussex and they've all been great birds
Salmon favorelles I cannot recommend enough, lovey and docile chickens and their muffs are very cute
Maybe an EE for fourth one? We don't have any, but I've heard good things and different coloured eggs is always fun

I was going to say orpington before I saw you already have some, they're my favourite breed

Black australorp is always a good choice, we've had a few in the past and our one girl at the moment is my favourite hen. She follows us around and is generally very curious
Speckled sussex could be nice, we've only had light sussex and they've all been great birds
Salmon favorelles I cannot recommend enough, lovey and docile chickens and their muffs are very cute
Maybe an EE for fourth one? We don't have any, but I've heard good things and different coloured eggs is always fun

My daughter wants an australorp because she read they’re the Australian version of buff Orpington. We love our buffs! Just looking for a little more variety. Thank you so much for the info!

My wyandottes do well in 100* weather, their combs grow larger in the summer. Wyandottes are also friendly birds.

Leghorns are exceptionally good in hot areas. If you get them I would spend some extra time with them ad chicks as they tend to be flighty, but they are really friendly if you work with them.

Very good to know! It gets 100+ here. I’m nervous about the Leghorns because we spent lots of time with our barred rocks and they do not like to be handled at all?

Back
Top Bottom