Help me pick my ideal chickens

I would go with EE--they are a suprise of color, shape and egg color..BUT mine are 23+weeks old and still aren't laying...

I have BO and they are ok birds..pretty but they don't have the personalities that my Barred Rocks have and they are 27 weeks old and not laying.. They are finally getting the squatty shape that I like so much --so we will have to see what they turn out to be...

I'm going through the exact same thing you are--getting chickens next spring. My research has lead me toward many of the same breeds but I really, really want Barenvelders!
fl.gif

My choices are down to:
love.gif

Barenvelder
Australop
Plymouth Rock (barred and /or buff)

(second choice if can't get the Barnevelders)
Welsummer
Easter Egger or Americauna
Plymouth Rock (barred and/or buff)
Australop

I got this info from a local expert (according to almost everyone--even the feed stores!)
My reasons for the choices:

Want very friendly, docile hens that lay fairly well.
BO's tend toward broodiness and I do not want too many broody hens.
I don't want my hens to have feathered feet for various reasons (yes, we will have a large, palatial covered run but more grooming/injury worries with feathered feet)
Banevelders are easily bullied so that's why no EE or Americaunas with them.

The expert also said that Brahmas are very sweet (if you don't mind the feet)

Good luck!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Go ahead and get the 5. There is no guarantee that you won't lose a baby or that one won't be a roo and need rehoming anyway. I say get the five and if you get 5 hens you can sell two of them.

Have you seen the special that mypetchicken has going on now? You can get 25 rainbow egg layer pullets for $41.50 shipped. I personally would get that, since 7-8 chicks through ideal (the lowest number you'll be able to get) would cost the same, and 3 from mypetchicken would cost the same, if not more. You could always sell off the extras, and get your 'pick of the litter'.
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks. When I said "ideal" I wasn't referring to the hatchery!
lol.png
I just meant ideal for my circumstances.

If I could get 25 chickens I would be all over it. What they need is a special for 5 chickens. I could at least easily sell 2 or 3 of them. Sigh.

Quote:
Go ahead and get the 5. There is no guarantee that you won't lose a baby or that one won't be a roo and need rehoming anyway. I say get the five and if you get 5 hens you can sell two of them.

I was thinking about this. We'll see. I need to get cracking on building this coop! Unfortunately, it's raining cats and dogs outside right now.
barnie.gif

Quote:
Yeah, the broodiness of BOs is one of the drawbacks for me too. If I'm only going to have 2 or 3 hens I want them to be laying more often than not.

WHAT? No Barred Rocks on the list?!!! For shame!!!!
lau.gif

I have to say Barred Rocks are the best girlys, Easy to tame, gentle even with the kids here, and mine lays me an egg on a daily basis... Once in a while she takes a break for a couple days and then back to business.

But since they aren't on your list... Ummmm
Australorp, EE, and welsummer then you'll almost have a rainbow of eggs.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thanks. When I said "ideal" I wasn't referring to the hatchery!
lol.png
I just meant ideal for my circumstances.

If I could get 25 chickens I would be all over it. What they need is a special for 5 chickens. I could at least easily sell 2 or 3 of them. Sigh.

Oic
tongue.png
Still, the $41.50 for 25 pullet chicks is a good price. You could list them on craigslist or at your local feed store to sell the extras off
smile.png

Quote:

I was thinking about this. We'll see. I need to get cracking on building this coop! Unfortunately, it's raining cats and dogs outside right now.
barnie.gif

I know.
big_smile.png
I'm just south of Burleson. Hi neighbor!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom