Help me pick my ideal chickens

spacetygrss

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 24, 2009
DFW, TX
I'm new to chickens and am getting ready to construct a coop. However, I need to figure out what kind of birds would fit best for me. I live in a large suburb of Dallas, TX and have a decent back yard. I only want 2 or 3 birds and would like to them to be on the quieter side for my neighbors' sake (even though they have yapping dogs---gotta be a good neighbor!) and friendly for my kids' sake. They will spend about 50% of their time in the coop, the rest of the time pecking around the yard.

I've looked through the breeds on the this site and have narrowed it down to the following breeds:
Australorp
Barnevelder
Buff Orpington
Brahma
Easter Egger
Favorelles
Wellsummer.

From your experience, which breed(s) would be best for my situation?

Thanks.

I would say Buff Orpington's or Brahma's although I just love my welsummers.
wink.png

I would go with One Australorp, because they lay more eggs than almost any breed.

Second, i would get an Easter egger, because they are the friendliest birds you will find.

Third , i would get a welsummer. They are quiet, lay a good amount of eggs, and are friendly.
Good Luck.

I have limited experience with the breeds on your list:

Buff Orpington-great with the kids, generally quiet, but loves to sing the egg song and she is the first one to sound the alarm whenever the hawk shows up. Lays large pinkish eggs 5 x a week. Pecking order- top hen.

Easter Egger- Docile, a little shy, very quiet, never sings the egg song. Mine lays large to extra large yellowy eggs (she didn't get a regular shaped peacomb so no blue green eggs.) 6 to 7 x a week. Bottom hen

I would recommend both of these breeds.

I also have had Black Australorp, but one was my loudest talker in the AM behind my leghorn hybrid. Mine layed 4 to 5 x a week. The Australorp down the street is also pretty loud early in the morning and lays 5 a week. However, they have nice personalities and are easy for the kids to handle.

If I could only have three chickens, I would pick 1 EE, 1 BO, 1 Red Star.

Last edited:
Variety is the spice of life...

One Australorp and then however many of those below you want to get.

Buff Orpington... don't mind being held...
Brahma
Easter Egger
Favorelles.... one of my favorite hens.
Wellsummer

So, it seems like EE, Wellsummer and BO's have the lead.
Anymore ideas?
I'm trying to narrow the breeds down. Then, I have to go about finding someone to sell them to me (even on MPC I have to order 5 chickens because I live right outside of Dallas, not IN, Dallas. Sigh).

From the birds on your list, I would choose the Austrolorps-docile, friendly and mine are very quiet.

I have 3 Black Australorps and they are so friendly. none of them have started laying yet, but I've heard alot about how good they are at laying.

I have Buff Orpingtons & EE's so can only give you my limited experience with those two breeds.

The BO's are more docile and quiet and calm. They seem a bit clueless. They almost never flap their wings or try to get off the ground. One is much more friendly then the other two.

The 6 EE's are very mean to each other. So mean a couple may permanently free range soon. A couple are more curious about us but no more friendly then the BO's. The others stay far away from us. I have already been thinking about picking up a couple more chickens next year. I have been considering more EE's because in the long run I would prefer a free ranging group that I am not attached to like I am my silkies. The EE's would be more likely to survive. They flap their wings and get off the ground and seem a lot more aware of their surroundings then the BO's do.

Back
Top Bottom