Help Me Pick My Rooster!

GirlsMommy18

Songster
6 Years
Mar 7, 2018
South Florida
I have had 2 roosters for my 2 flocks that roam freely in my yard. One is a rooster I plan to keep, and the other was an 'accidental' that was purchased as a pullet.

My accidental rooster is a Gold Laced Wayandotte. He isn't a great roo honestly, he's scared of everything, doesn't treat his ladies all that nicely (not bad, but not good), and can't see in front of him because of his huge comb. The main thing he had going for him is that he is fine with my toddlers and is completely unagressive towards people. And he coexists relatively peacefully with my bantam roo.

Well, I recently added Easter Eggers to my flock, and I've got a handsome young cockerel. For breeding purposes I'd love to keep the Easter Egger instead, but I'm not sure how his temperament will be after he hits puberty. I won't be able to tolerate any aggression with my kids period.

My dilemma is this, I've got someone who wants either of my roos for their barnyard flock. I've got a couple weeks to decide, but it won't be long enough for me to judge the Easter Egger after puberty. He's only 5 weeks... Do I give her the Easter Egger, or take a chance and give her the Wayandotte? Or just hope she would wait a couple months, and choose after the Easter Egger matures? It'd be a shame to process the Wayandotte if I can't find anyone looking for a rooster locally, he's relatively friendly and he's absolutely stunning. I just never wanted to breed Wayandotte's, and despite his good looks, I still don't. Opinions?

I have tried 3 Wyandotte roosters and all turned out as yours has. We butchered them all. I tried one for three years in a row with the hope I was just getting bad ones, but I didn't care for none of them as far as their treatment towards hens. If you don't care for yours send him on his way and see how the next one turns out. There's always more roosters. I personally don't keep those that are troublemakers no matter their looks.

I have tried 3 Wyandotte roosters and all turned out as yours has. We butchered them all. I tried one for three years in a row with the hope I was just getting bad ones, but I didn't care for none of them as far as their treatment towards hens. If you don't care for yours send him on his way and see how the next one turns out. There's always more roosters. I personally don't keep those that are troublemakers no matter their looks.

Interesting, I wonder if Wayandottes are just cowardly by nature? Even my hen is extremely skittish of everyone and everything in spite of being hand raised. He also happens to be a bit rough and doesn't share treats with his hens like my bantam roo. Also is terified of my RIR boss hen on top of running from every fight with a potential predator that I've witnessed.

You could always sell your Other rooster and buy an EE from someone that is proven gentle.

That's an interesting point. I never even considered that.

Does anyone know how Easter Egger rooster temperments are in general?

Does anyone know how Easter Egger rooster temperments are in general?
Mine were human aggressive jerks who attacked everything including the hens. Never again.

The thing about EE is that they are a mix of anything and everything with the only usual common trait being blue egg genes. Therefore, they are impossible to group together and standardize how they should look or act.

My all time best rooster was an EE.

That being said, roosters are a crap shoot, some are fantastic, some are not. With toddlers, one needs to be VERY AWARE. I would want the bare minimum of roosters around a toddler. So I am go ahead and give the boys away, keep your fingers crossed with the EE, and do not make a pet of him.

I think a rooster raised in a multi-generational flock, tend to have manners thumped into them, and they seem to mature a bit slower, but are better for it. I think you get better roosters out of a multi-generational flock, so your EE might just be the fellow you are looking for, but probably not until he is about a year old.

I currently just added one to my flock, about 6 months old. He did not even get to roost the first week. He did a lot of crowing, but no one seemed to impressed, I swear, the oldest biddy rolled her eyes at him. But he is calling them now, and tidbitting... he made the roost, I have not yet seen him breed anything, but the flock seems calm. I think he is going to be fine, come March when the "sap starts to rise"

Mrs K

If she’s ok with either... and if she has kids especially, I’d consider sending your Wyandotte on his merry way... you don’t sound too fond of him, and maybe without that bantam Roo around his attitude towards girls will improve? I’d say give the EE a chance, and if things don’t turn out well, you can always process him and replace until you find the fit you’re looking for.

But that’s my general opinion, my boys haven’t hit puberty yet so... I don’t have enough experience yet to really advise. Best of luck!

^^^
Find out what she wants a rooster for. If it's for a pet then the wyandotte. But for a flock rooster, I dunno. If he were the only rooster he might feel more like he had a job to do.

Back
Top Bottom