Help me pick out a modern game trio! Who is typey-est?

Quote:
Yes except that the Birchen cock of Troy's on the open page of is stilt legged.

He sure is-I didn't even see that picture before.

Quote:
Yes except that the Birchen cock of Troy's on the open page of is stilt legged.

He sure is-I didn't even see that picture before.

I definstely value your advice but the bottom cock is taken. At least some of the hens I got look decent. I'll lee my eyes pealed for better cocks.

Last edited:
Quote:
Courtney,
Please be very careful with using the word "Perfect" so much. While your birds are nice they are far from perfect.

Bob

Quote:
Courtney,
Please be very careful with using the word "Perfect" so much. While your birds are nice they are far from perfect.

Bob

Just to add, I can't speak for all judges but this is one judge who prefers birds that conform to the standard.

My take on the birds:

08 542, 540 poor lacing ok type

08 wings too long on right bird, lacing poor...left is a better bird

06 cock p25 looks like over laced on breast (could be good to mate to hens lacking lacing) 2nd best roo hen G48 poor lacing good type better breats than most hens pictured

07 hen R28 poor lacing good type better breast than most shoulders thin

08 549 NO wing is too long stance is not vertical (legs bent forward) poor breast

08 553 wings too long thin shoulder poor breast

08 cute hen, best hen pictured IMO

last roo best roo pictured IMO

Just my opinion.
smile.png

Sallee is a well known name in Moderns. You might want to try the cross with the over laced roo and under laced hens--they were probably bought as a breeding trio from Sallee...

Have fun Moderns are a blast!!!

Ryu, thank you for the honest assessment. Unfortunatley I got stuck with cockerals 549 & 553. I'll see what I can get out of them this year and if I can aquire a better cock I'll give them to 4-Hers.

Has anyone bought or seen the moderns of the Kanes of Goldvein, VA? I saw them on the mgbca website and they aren't far from me.

Quote:
My take as a new MGB owner is the cockrel 553 has extremely long wings... they are not held tight to the body (I thought the standard wants tight to the body) (that is the only real fault that I can see as a newbie)

I have a question and PLEASE do not eat me alive people... it is regarding the above statment: "If I can aquire a better Cock I will give these to 4-H'ers"..... why would you give your toss aways to kids? I wouldnt give the trash from my breeding programs to any one. if I wont keep it I certainly will not give it to a kid and set them up for failure. when I give thing to 4-hers I always make sure they get a good stock not what I wont keep for myself. I am sorry but that is just my personal oppinion and I was wondering if I am on the wrong track thinking this way? am I perhaps denying a kid a lesson by not allowing them to have birds they need to build upon to get better birds from? am I giving a kid a unfair advantage that other kids dont have?

I really am not trying to make waves here just want to make the best chouces possible.

I am sure there is a kid out there who would like them. Of course I would educate them in his faults. My county fair shows about 50 birds each year, most certainly from hatcheries. These have obvious faults but I do think they are on par or better with what the 4h kids in my county are raising. Everyone knows you get what you pay for. I don't believe in culling to kill unless there is a health issue. Once i take on an animal it's for the duration of it's life unless I feel confident I have found a person who will care for it well.

Quote:
Courtney,
Bob

Just to add, I can't speak for all judges but this is one judge who prefers birds that conform to the standard.

Hm, that was a low blow. But whatever. These birds win in large classes all the time, so clearly they have something that conforms to the standard. I've gotten a lot of complements from many judges on those birds. I was just trying to help by providing pictures of my best birds that the judges, on the west coast, seem to like.

Back
Top Bottom