!!! HELP ME PLEASE!!! Cant find my Cayugas crop !!!! Trying to locate needle !!!

NewDuckMama4

Chirping
Aug 11, 2019
Please Anyone im in the middle of trying to extract a 1.5 in needle from my 5week old ducks crop using a magnet to start ....... i was advised to do this by a bird vet!!! So please someone help me is it all the squishy flesh or the firm tubes towards the back!!!!!

A duck has what is called a 'false crop' - it's basically an enlarging of the esophagus. The crop is on the right side of the duck's throat/neck. What are you trying to do with the magnet? Are you trying to get it into the duck's crop? The esophagus, which opens into the crop, is on the right side of the duck's throat at the back of the mouth. That's the duck's right, so if it's facing you, that would be your left.

Here's a diagram, 2 is the crop:

http://www.fao.org/3/y4359e/y4359e01.gif

And here's a picture showing where the opening to the esophagus is. The tube at the back of the tongue is the trachea, and you do NOT want to be going in there. Where the syringe is, off to the left of the picture, that's where the esophagus is.

dosing_1_-609x588-300x290.jpg

Wow!! Thank you so so much!!!! Really i have been searching and searching and have yet to find ANYTHING that made mention it was only on the right!!!! I was feeling in the wrong places !!! And im supposed to feel on the outside of the skin for the ball of the needle when his crop is empty then maneuver it so that it will puncture thru the crop and skin towards me so i can then use a wire xutters and cut the needle down as close to the ball end as possible leaving the ball end inside him to pass normally!! But because i cant find the needle i was instructed to try to use the magnet on the outside of the skin to draw it to the surface so i can do what i mentioned

Back
Top Bottom