HELP ME PLEASE my chick wont pip!!!!!

Yeah seems when helped they never live long theres a reason they dont hatch. Which is why i never help them anymore every time I tried they died either days or weeks later
Sounds like bad luck
One of mine was assisted, she was fine.
And I know folks who have assisted dozens of eggs successfully. If done correctly, it often ends well. But of course there's always the risk of unhealthy babies, just not enough to change my mind on assisting

I’ve only hatched ducks, so I’m not sure about chickens, but in my last clutch I incubated, all of them required assistance getting out (some were malpostitioned and others were just not able to get out on their own) and all are doing well, at 2 months old. In my experience, if you have to start helping a chick, like making a safety hole, you’ll have to help them until they hatch
Some manage to complete hatch, but it could have to do with the lack of urgency, when chicks start running out of oxygen, they feel the urge to break the shell. If we do this for them, they go slower, they don't have that natural impulse to break out as quickly. Which is okay when the odds are against them, but that's why it's best to wait a while (24 hours or so) to see if they do it themselves. Other times, they can't turn in the egg to zip, or lose their egg tooth, even, and struggle to hatch.

If I remember your thread correctly, you did an absolutely fantastic job assisting your ducklings

I’ve only hatched ducks, so I’m not sure about chickens, but in my last clutch I incubated, all of them required assistance getting out (some were malpostitioned and others were just not able to get out on their own) and all are doing well, at 2 months old. In my experience, if you have to start helping a chick, like making a safety hole, you’ll have to help them until they hatch
i have silkie chickens and i was planing to sell all of these chicks but im gonna keep the one that is having trouble. she is doing mutch better by the way i ended up breaking off most of the shell in the airpocket and breaking some of the membrane to where she can move more and now she can see me and she seems lo like traitor by olivia rodrigo, she started peeping at me when i sang it lol

Yeah seems when helped they never live long theres a reason they dont hatch. Which is why i never help them anymore every time I tried they died either days or weeks later
so is there a chance that some of the chickens in your coop are siblings, this could be the reason that some of the chicks are week and dont make it.

so is there a chance that some of the chickens in your coop are siblings, this could be the reason that some of the chicks are week and dont make it.
That doesnt effect anything unrealated birds it happens with just as much. I havent had an issue since I no longer help they die my rats get those circle of life. And that way im not breeding weaker birds in the future generations.

i have silkie chickens and i was planing to sell all of these chicks but im gonna keep the one that is having trouble. she is doing mutch better by the way i ended up breaking off most of the shell in the airpocket and breaking some of the membrane to where she can move more and now she can see me and she seems lo like traitor by olivia rodrigo, she started peeping at me when i sang it lol
How are those veins looking? Is she making a yawning or chewing motion with her beak? This would indicate that she's still absorbing yolk.
Don't help too fast, if there's still veins visible

Back
Top Bottom