chickychickss

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2023
Hello, so recently one of my hens have been sick I believe it has been due to a crop issue. She’s been doing okay I’ve been giving her olive oil, vinegar water mixture, not too much but enough to do something and I’ve been syringe feeding it to her. and I also gave her yogurt with probiotics mixed in. She’s been drinking water not eating much feed. She is interested in eating meal worms the dried out kind. I’ve been treating her since Friday today is Tuesday. So yesterday was really weird I thought she was going to pass away!!
She was acting lethargic and kept closing her eyes and just standing there practically the whole day. I didn’t know what to do or what was going on i made sure if she wanted to eat. No. Nothing. she did Drink water. But that was all so I hoped that she would make it through the night and she did :)
She seems back to normal but I know she doesn’t feel well still.
Oh and her poop went back to being green and not yellow. it’s still watery though. There’s usually like chunks of green.
I’m not sure is she getting better or not?

any recommendations on what to do please im in Need of major help.

Attachments

• 04D75F5E-6B00-4967-8FBE-2B8577C4D3B8.jpeg
    04D75F5E-6B00-4967-8FBE-2B8577C4D3B8.jpeg
    641.4 KB · Views: 8
Sometimes yellow poop can be a sign of coccidiosis. Everything you've been doing is really good. How does her crop feel in the mornings?
Her poop isn’t as yellow as it was a few days ago and her crop was being very squishy/watery feeling too. But now she’s been having a crop that’s full… I’ve been massaging her.

Hello, so recently one of my hens have been sick I believe it has been due to a crop issue. She’s been doing okay I’ve been giving her olive oil, vinegar water mixture, not too much but enough to do something and I’ve been syringe feeding it to her. and I also gave her yogurt with probiotics mixed in. She’s been drinking water not eating much feed. She is interested in eating meal worms the dried out kind. I’ve been treating her since Friday today is Tuesday. So yesterday was really weird I thought she was going to pass away!!
She was acting lethargic and kept closing her eyes and just standing there practically the whole day. I didn’t know what to do or what was going on i made sure if she wanted to eat. No. Nothing. she did Drink water. But that was all so I hoped that she would make it through the night and she did :)
She seems back to normal but I know she doesn’t feel well still.
Oh and her poop went back to being green and not yellow. it’s still watery though. There’s usually like chunks of green.
I’m not sure is she getting better or not?

any recommendations on what to do please im in Need of major help.
If she’s having sour crop issues, you should be feeding her scrambled eggs and no feed. Probiotics are great, but I would not give her anything with sugar that feeds the yeast infection. Also, there are a few over the counter remedies you can get.

The best way to check if your chicken has a sour crop is to carefully feel it in the morning. A typical crop is supposed to look empty, as food should have been digested the night before.

If you feel it is still full and looks swollen, check if it is hard or soft. A full yet squishy crop would mean your chicken has a sour crop. If it feels full but hard, it might be an impacted crop.
Another sign of a sour crop is a foul odor released by your chicken.
Smell near their beak, and if you can detect a sour odor similar to fermentation coming from the crop, then most likely, your chicken has a sour crop. The overabundance of yeast causes this smell. Has she been around moldy are rotten food?
I’ve used Acidified Copper Sulfate for fungus & mold problems, and it worked great. I also use medistatin for sour crop and it works great!

She hasn’t been into eating anything maybe I’ll try scramble eggs. Her crop was squishy at first but I never any sour like smell from her mouth.
Lately she’s been waking up with a full crop it’s not hard but it is full.
And no she has not been around moldy rotten food. I have her feed secured. I wash their little bowls (where they eat and drink water practically every day) And I make sure any snack/fruit I gave them is 100% still good to eat. I have stopped giving her yogurt mixed in with the probiotics for about 2 days now along with the vinegar water mixture and olive oil :). Her poop also looks different to what I posted a few days ago it’s now a darkish brown color not a hard poop yet. She seems so much better now but not entirely. So I believe she may have impacted crop? What can I do in order to help her with that?

If she’s having sour crop issues, you should be feeding her scrambled eggs and no feed. Probiotics are great, but I would not give her anything with sugar that feeds the yeast infection. Also, there are a few over the counter remedies you can get.

The best way to check if your chicken has a sour crop is to carefully feel it in the morning. A typical crop is supposed to look empty, as food should have been digested the night before.

If you feel it is still full and looks swollen, check if it is hard or soft. A full yet squishy crop would mean your chicken has a sour crop. If it feels full but hard, it might be an impacted crop.
Another sign of a sour crop is a foul odor released by your chicken.
Smell near their beak, and if you can detect a sour odor similar to fermentation coming from the crop, then most likely, your chicken has a sour crop. The overabundance of yeast causes this smell. Has she been around moldy are rotten food?
I’ve used Acidified Copper Sulfate for fungus & mold problems, and it worked great. I also use medistatin for sour crop and it works great!
Actually I took a good whiff at her mouth right now and I’m not sure if it just smells like chicken or sour like. I’m sure if it was a sour smell it would be unbearable especially at this point no?

Actually I took a good whiff at her mouth right now and I’m not sure if it just smells like chicken or sour like. I’m sure if it was a sour smell it would be unbearable especially at this point no?
It should kinda smell like fish or sauerkraut. How's she doing this evening?

Back
Top Bottom