HELP ME QUICK!!!!

Do you use sand in your coop as well?

I actually use wood chips in my coop. But the ones I use in the coop are finer. I like how well they absorb liquid and I think them breaking down helps with heat. And I get them cheap.

I bought expensive ones that were bigger for the brooder, but didn't like it. So I switched to sand.

I actually use wood chips in my coop. But the ones I use in the coop are finer. I like how well they absorb liquid and I think them breaking down helps with heat. And I get them cheap.

I bought expensive ones that were bigger for the brooder, but didn't like it. So I switched to sand.

Ok. I know a lot of people use sand in coops and love it. I've thought about it, but for winters up here I think deep litter method is better for heat. It gets -30 or more with windchill here and I don't see sand being insulating enough. I use straw/pine in coop. I've used both the fine and coarse pine in the coop.

I love pine pellets! Deep litter seems to be working well for us.

Ok. I know a lot of people use sand in coops and love it. I've thought about it, but for winters up here I think deep litter method is better for heat. It gets -30 or more with windchill here and I don't see sand being insulating enough. I use straw/pine in coop. I've used both the fine and coarse pine in the coop.

I agree, sand seems too cold. We get air temps that are -30 (I don't even want to discuss windchill). I don't like straw though. It doesn't seem to control moisture very well. I have done coarse woodchips in the coop, but they don't seem to break down fast enough. And of course part of the heat in deep litter comes from it breaking down. So for me fine woodchips and the deep litter method are what the coop gets.

But sand is still my favorite for the brooder.

I agree, sand seems too cold. We get air temps that are -30 (I don't even want to discuss windchill). I don't like straw though. It doesn't seem to control moisture very well. I have done coarse woodchips in the coop, but they don't seem to break down fast enough. And of course part of the heat in deep litter comes from it breaking down. So for me fine woodchips and the deep litter method are what the coop gets.

But sand is still my favorite for the brooder.

I think the chips break down faster, but the straw breaks down at a recent speed as well, at least in my coop. I have a large walk in coop, with 24 birds in which it really doesn't take long to break down. I also have a slightly smaller walk in coop that houses my young silkies, there's only 10 in there, and the straw has not broke down much at all over the spring/summer since it was laid.

It's looking like this hatch is going to be much better!!! Thanks everyone of you for all the help!!
fl.gif

OK, Great! glad to know the extra info about me a turner for it! LOL, I think 50 at a time will be fine! I use the Brinsea disinfectant in my bators. 1 more ? can I adjust temp. on 1588 up to hatch other eggs? I was looking at Peafowl and others that would require a higher temp.! If I get brave I may try a Emu egg again, LOL!

Do peafowl require a higher temp? What is some of the others that require a higher temp? Thanks!

PD, I was looking for my book to answer your question but couldn't find it! I think there was only 1 bird with a lower temp. and all the rest was higher temps.! The only thing I can say is maybe google a incubation chart! I think I seen chart on Brinsea.com under incubation info! Sorry I can't find my book!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom