Help me sex/color id button quails + Problems

YooHwa

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 12, 2011
I'm guessing grey one is a male one.. since he has a thin white bib (he doesn't have pink/red/rusty vent feathers..but he does crow) btw, does rusty mean brown?
I have a black one slowly changing into blue and brown(on vent). Sooo pretty
smile.png

Anyway. Doesn't button quail crow like a puppy? That's how my mom describe it. It sound like little puppy crying for mommy.
hmm.png

Other times I hear weird sound.. like... I don't know but it really is weird/funny/but cute. lol

I'll try to post vent feather pic later.. They are now having sand bath... splashing sand everywhere.
So please help me identify sex and color of my button quails!

82422_imag0211.jpg

82422_imag0210.jpg

82422_imag0208.jpg

82422_imag0209.jpg

82422_imag0206.jpg

82422_imag0158.jpg

+Edit

Oh yeah, about the problem..

The grey one (which is male) and light brown one (on the very last pic, the one on the left of the grey one) both chase dark brown one (on the very last pic, the one on the right of the grey one).
It's like light brown one comes near dark brown one and get all puffed up and open its wings. Then starts chasing dark brown one which runs away. Then the grey one (which I'm sure is a male) runs around and chases the light brown one away... When the light brown one runs away, the grey one starts chasing the dark brown one..
It's really complicated....
hu.gif

So I just put the dark brown one in the bird cage (it's their play ground/sand box. they have different home that is connected to the bird cage).
Then grey one comes infront of the closed door and peck it...
So I let the grey one in to see if they will chase around but it doesnt.... It just stays right beside the dark brown one and be all cuddled up....
I'm confused... what the crap are they doing
barnie.gif

Last edited:
First off, this is a button quail crow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6J4-kF5zRA

The
'hehehe' sound is made by BOTH the males and females, though the males' call is usually clearer.

The bird in the 1st picture is a male blueface.

The bird in the 2nd picture looks like it's just a plain silver (color). Male silvers don't always get colored vent feathers and the females sometimes get 'bibs' (though not as clearly defined as a male's). If it is making the sound in the above link, then it is a male, otherwise you might have to isolate it for a time to know for sure.

The bird in the 3rd pic is a red breasted female.

The bird in the 4th pic is a female but I can't tell the color from that angle. Looks like it might be cinnamon?? Or pearl? Pretty sure it's a cinnamon, but definitely a hen.

ETA: You need to separate them into m/f pairs as soon as you figure out for sure which are which. I noticed you have other 'dark brown' ones. These are also bluefaces. The way you tell a male from a female is that the male gets that nice shiny blue on it's head and breast and the female is just 'brown'.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom