Help me sex my barred rock chicks

Tadpolelvr89

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 11, 2013
Hello everyone. I just got my barred rock chicks last week, so they're about a week old now. They are supposed to be all pullers, but I think one might be cockerel based on head spot and leg coloring. Would y'all's input. No pressure. If only one is a roo he'll be staying and protecting the ladies.

Chick 1

Chick 2

Chick 3

You probably won't be able to tell at that age but in a couple of weeks you will start to see signs in the cockerels, their combs are growing faster and a bit pinker than the pullets. Also if you look just above the inner ankle towards a bit towards the back of the leg you might see a little dot on the cockerels leg and nothing on the pullets leg. That's the way I can tell. hope this helps.
smile.png

can you spred the wings if there is one row they are cocreals and if there are two rows they are pullets you can look up how to wing sex chicks on youtube

The yellow one looks to be a pullet

Last edited:
Wait until they are 6 weeks old. Barred Rocks are quite easy to sex at that age. They'll have feathered in and males and females feather in quite differently. The males inherit two barring genes while the females only one barring gene. This gives the pullets a darker over all look, while the cockerels will appear to have brighter white bars, giving them more of an overall lighter appearance.

Here's a purebred, bred to the Standard pair and below is a hatchery grade pair. In both cases, the difference is obvious.

At 6 weeks, the cockerels also sprout little red combs and wattles, while the pullets show nothing and look dull and yellowish.

Back
Top Bottom