1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Help me sex this duck!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 5DuckFarm, Aug 1, 2014.

1. 5DuckFarm

5DuckFarm In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    NJ
    Ok, so below is a picture of my Swedish/Runner duck. It is smaller than my other females. It doesn't have a curled tail and has not jumped on our hens. It hasn't laid an egg (however, we got it from a place with many ducks so it might not been healthy enough yet). But it has an unusual sound. It is deeper than my Peking drakes sound. We are almost sure it is a girl. "Her" name is Lucy. Can anyone help?![​IMG]

2. 5DuckFarm

5DuckFarm In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    NJ
    The place we got it from told us it was a female. But we are still not 100% sure.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

No tell tale drake feather, can you post a video of her quacking?

4. 5DuckFarm

5DuckFarm In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    NJ

@Miss Lydia

5. Miss Lydia

I think you have a girl too and a cute one at that. [​IMG]

6. 5DuckFarm

5DuckFarm In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    NJ

Thank you so much! I'm glad she is

7. Amykins

Amykins Crowing

May 11, 2013
    Really? Sounded just like a male to me! o.o;; Same hoarse, monotone grunt-quack. But there's no curly feather, so...maybe you have a tomboy? [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

It through me off some too but listening to the Pekin drake quack it on youtube this duck though lower pitched didn't sound like the drake. am I making sense? I was hoping to find a video of a Swede quacking but didn't come up with one.okay this is what i was looking for..
    http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm what do you think?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The bill color made me think that it was a drake, and for me the video confirmed that fact. I believe it is a young drake.

10. Miss Lydia

Well I was wrong again.. although the video made the drakes sound like frogs, and I didn't think the duck in question sounded quite that bad. lol But what do i know i have quackless ducks. er drakes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by