Help Me Turn This Desk Into a Coop or Tractor!!

hac1224

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
Lincolnton, NC
I have this solid wood desk that is about to be hauled off to the landfill, but I see a potential small coop or tractor. The wood isn't treated that I know of, so I would seal it with outdoor paint. I also would have to turn the top slot (for pc cords) into a vent or just put a piece of wood over it. Any ideas on how I could modify it and make it work? We just moved and are hopefully starting over with a few hens until we can afford to build a full-size coop and run next spring.
Carsales.jpg

hmmmm lets see a small board across the bottom front ,hardware cloth on the bottom and front then throw in some sawdust maybe or shavings. put a small roost in the back of the desk, you could put a couple of small latches on the door where the pc tower use to set then cut a round hole in the side that goes out under the desk this could be the nest area and the door to collect the eggs. geeesh and i almost forgot put a door in the front. ponder on this idea it should`nt cost to much to complete it. it might hold you over till you can afford to build the coop that better suits your needs

I would turn the tower cabinet into nesting boxes by putting holes on the inside of the leg area. Put small windows in the back and side. Then put a bottom under it and put some hardware cloth across the front. You can use the door for collecting eggs. You may want to put the hardware cloth into a frame that you can use as a door so you can open the entire front into a door for easy cleaning. It can open out into a run. You won't be able to keep many in there, but I think you are smart to try to re-purpose it.

Also wanted to add that the birds will have semi-supervised free range time during the day. I need to check, but I may have enough hardware cloth and wire left over from previous projects to cover all of the needed openings.

Quote:
That is exactly what I was thinking when I saw it. Well, actually the first thing was I would like to have that, LOL!

I actually bought it over a year ago at a yard sale for $10 to use as a computer desk. It's so big and heavy that we didn't even want to try to bring it into the new house. My parents were supposed to haul it to the dump the day before we moved but thought it looked useful for something, so they took it home instead. I looked at it again yesterday at their house and suddenly saw the potential coop or tractor. I had mom email me this picture so I could start working on ideas before they got rid of it.

Thanks for the ideas so far...they are mostly along the ideas that I was thinking. Keep 'em coming!

Last edited:
Quote:
That is exactly what I was thinking when I saw it. Well, actually the first thing was I would like to have that, LOL!

Same here! I saw it when he posted it but figured my input wouldn't mean much.

I was thinking that the tower would make for great nest boxes and then I'd just enclose around the whole thing with a run.

I am thinking that is about 2'x5' - so maybe 3 chickens if you use it as a coop and they have a secure run they can get out into.
idunno.gif

My thoughts: cut the side of the tower area out (the side under the desk), leaving the front half of the wall (or even just the lower-front quarter of it) to form a nest box, then the existing door will be access for egg collection. Put a piece of plywood across the front, hinged to open, leaving the top open for ventilation, but covered with welded wire fabric - same as the cord slot. I guess you might need a 2x4 board for the wire to be stapled to and a support for the plywood to rest against. And if you put a piece of plywood on the bottom, hinged the "front door" along the bottom, then the "door" would swing down and make it easier access for cleaning and what not. A roost could be installed from side to side, not very high of course, but something for them to sit on. Cut a pop door in the side - viola - coop de'chicken.

I would paint it a really light color, to try to keep it from getting too hot out in the sun. Personally, I would probably do a light green, like mint ice cream, but I love green.
big_smile.png

Quote:

I actually bought it over a year ago at a yard sale for $10 to use as a computer desk. It's so big and heavy that we didn't even want to try to bring it into the new house. My parents were supposed to haul it to the dump the day before we moved but thought it looked useful for something, so they took it home instead. I looked at it again yesterday at their house and suddenly saw the potential coop or tractor. I had mom email me this picture so I could start working on ideas before they got rid of it.

Thanks for the ideas so far...they are mostly along the ideas that I was thinking. Keep 'em coming!

I turned a dresser into a brooder. It works pretty good. I would build a frame for the front opening, so you can have access. Then make the tower the nesting boxes. Then I would come out from the back of the desk and add a small run. You can always put wheels or something so it is easily moved.

Great find for $10!

Back
Top Bottom