Help me understand my dog?

Yep, its left out in the morning until they eat, and unless they are hungery, they get fed again in the late afternoon, although, after we moved once Buddy did start stress eating. The vets helped us stop him though.

Yep, its left out in the morning until they eat, and unless they are hungery, they get fed again in the late afternoon, although, after we moved once Buddy did start stress eating. The vets helped us stop him though.

If that's how you do it, I would sit the food down and leave it. He can choose to eat or not.

If you walk away, he's just got two things to deal with: his hunger and the plate that's sitting right there. I'm guessing he'll make the sensible choice fairly soon :)

Honestly, I would stop giving them access to food all day long. It just encourages the behavior you're trying to stop. Like I said, you should set the food down in the morning, and walk away. If they don't eat it in half an hour, take the food away and don't give anything until dinner. Set the food down for 30 minutes again, and if they don't eat it, take it away again until the next morning.
There is a youtube channel that might be helpful for you. It's called It's Me Or The Dog. It's actually a TV show, but they also have a youtube channel with the episodes on it. They have several videos where they deal with feeding issues. I think they might be able to help you.

Honestly, I would stop giving them access to food all day long. It just encourages the behavior you're trying to stop. Like I said, you should set the food down in the morning, and walk away. If they don't eat it in half an hour, take the food away and don't give anything until dinner. Set the food down for 30 minutes again, and if they don't eat it, take it away again until the next morning.

I'm not a dog expert, but I don't see any reason to stop the free-feeding as long as it works for the owner, and the dog isn't eating too much :idunno

So I wouldn't bother picking it up again in 30 minutes.
But I certainly would sit the food down and walk away, instead of pushing it around and changing plates at the dog's command.

I'm not a dog expert, but I don't see any reason to stop the free-feeding as long as it works for the owner, and the dog isn't eating too much :idunno

So I wouldn't bother picking it up again in 30 minutes.
But I certainly would sit the food down and walk away, instead of pushing it around and changing plates at the dog's command.

Here are two links that explain why free feeding is not good for dogs. The first article was written by a vet.

https://www.petmd.com/blogs/nutriti...e_feeding_is_wrong_choice_for_most_dogs-12694

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/food/dog_food/5-reasons-not-to-free-feed-your-dog/

I've always free fed my dogs. I think restricting amounts makes dogs more food orientated, and aggressive. There are some breeds and individuals that may consume too much if food is always available, but in my experiences with many dogs over the years they eat what they need when they need it, and stop when they are full. Some days they eat more, some days less. It also prevents problems that come from feeding once or twice a day. Dogs restricted of food will often gulp down their meals.

Dogs are like chickens, everyone needs to find what works best for them and their animals.

Back
Top Bottom