Help me with layout ideas please :)

annampet

Songster
Jul 2, 2018
NE Michigan
We have an 8x10 shed we’ll be converting in to a coop soon. I have a couple layouts in my head but what would your dream layout look like in this space? :)

We have 7 girls right now. I doubt we’ll ever have more than 12.

Door in is on an 8ft side with an electric outlet next to it, door to the run will be on the opposite 8ft wall.

Inside is unfinished/open studs. And one 10 ft wall has a large window.

Can you do a quick sketch? Maybe include a pointer to indicate north. Also prevalent wind direction. I see you are pretty far north.

Wind usually from the East over Lake Huron. We are just north of the 45th parallel. Typically have a few days of 30 below plus wind chills. Lots of snow :).
I plan on ventilation under the eaves of the north and south side...and a possible vent under the peak of the west side. Window is currently a full pane, does not open.
Run will be covered, 10x10 or 10x20. We’ll plan on hanging plastic on the north facing portion of the run during the winter to prevent snow from drifting in. The shed will mostly protect it from the East.

Attachments

• BFCFF6FD-B583-487C-9475-9FA1D6E1837C.jpeg
    BFCFF6FD-B583-487C-9475-9FA1D6E1837C.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 10
It’s sounding like you might need more ventilation in there than what you’ve described so far. If that one window doesn’t open, and it’s just under the eaves with an optional vent, it seems pretty light. For an 80 sq. ft. coop, you want to be measuring in sq.ft. of ventilation that you have. As an example, my coop is 8x8, and I have over 20 sq. ft. of ventilation. Granted, that’s a lot because it was a set of greenhouse plans that had 5 windows in it and I added more gable and ridge vents as well. But, the plan for me was to have an abundance of ventilation and if it was too much for a period of time, I could shut some windows as needed. It’s a lot easier to simply shut some down than figure out how to add when you need it and already have the hassle of birds in there.

I love that you have power out there, that’s going to be awesome. I’d search for posts talking about poop or droppings boards as they are quite popular and work well for many. I have them and they have been wonderful for my setup. You could probably run one board along one of the 10’ walls with the roost bar above it and you’d be set for up to 12 birds.

You’ve got a great sounding setup to work with (plenty of room) - I think you’ll really like it.

Oh, and if you can do that extra run space, well worth it. Everyone is happy with lots of room. If you did get up to 12 birds, by the rough guide of 10’ per bird, that’d be a bit small. With 10x20, you’ve got plenty for the 7, and are good past the 12 max with room to spare.

Last edited:
Mine's 6x10, designed for 12. This is what I settled on. The aqua lines on the wall are windows, the pink arrow points to the pop door. The one windowless wall faces south because that's the direction our winds come from.

cooplayout.jpg

We have an 8x10 shed we’ll be converting in to a coop soon. I have a couple layouts in my head but what would your dream layout look like in this space? :)

We have 7 girls right now. I doubt we’ll ever have more than 12.

Door in is on an 8ft side with an electric outlet next to it, door to the run will be on the opposite 8ft wall.

Inside is unfinished/open studs. And one 10 ft wall has a large window.
My shed to coop conversion is 8x16 but the coop space is 8x12 also with the entry door on the gable end.
This is the interior.
2CAA8E144B7C_1568491893086.png

It currently houses 29 birds but 2 of them will be removed before winter.
I would tear of your soffits and replace them with 1/2" hardware cloth for ventilation. If your shed doesn't already have one, cut in a ridge vent.
I also cut out the peaks of the gable ends and covered that with HC.
I installed the windows where I wanted them for ventilation. All told I have 42 sq ft of ventilation available.
If you want more ideas, you can read my coop article that is linked under my avatar.

Back
Top Bottom