Help me with my BIG BLACK BIRDS!!!

HB&B :

They look alot like my black sex link hen...She has a greenish sheen to her. She lays big brown eggs. I'm not good at distinguishing breeds though.

X 2 mine looks like that too and is a BS​

Quote:
Our BA has large, soulful dark eyes not golden. The bottom of her feet are white so I'm fairly positive that she is a Black Australorp and not a Jersey Giant.

Check the pics posted by "weesy68" and note the golden eye color...those are Black Australorps. I have raised Black Giants and Australorps for years. The eye color is the quickest and surest way to tell the breeds apart. You can also check the breed standards and it will note eye color differences as well.

Quote:
Our BA has large, soulful dark eyes not golden. The bottom of her feet are white so I'm fairly positive that she is a Black Australorp and not a Jersey Giant.

Check the pics posted by "weesy68" and note the golden eye color...those are Black Australorps. I have raised Black Giants and Australorps for years. The eye color is the quickest and surest way to tell the breeds apart. You can also check the breed standards and it will note eye color differences as well.

I digress...I just found a breed standard for Black Australorps that says they should have dark brown eyes. I think the hatchery stock may be the birds that have the golden eye color. I have also found conflicting information on the bottom of the foot coloring. LOL I guess you have to raise them to maturity and put them on a scale to actually be able to tell the difference. Here is the Austrailian standard that I found for Australorps. Since they created the breed, I would go with their discription.

COLOURS:
BLACK
Male and Female:
Plumage : Black throughout with lustrous green sheen.
Beak : Black, with allowable gradation of white (horn)
Eye: Black or dark brown iris, black is preferred.
Comb: Face, ear-lobes and wattles bright red
Shanks and Feet: Black, dark slate permitted in adults.
Skin: White
Souls of Feet and Toenails: White

OK... now I've changed my mind... I think they are "White Rocks"
big_smile.png

Thanks to ALL of you that have chimed in about my Big Black birds, such enthusiasm I have never seen with a comedic touch! I have learned much. So big green eggs are in my future when they decide to grow up and lay? Yah!
wee.gif

Quote:

I digress...I just found a breed standard for Black Australorps that says they should have dark brown eyes. I think the hatchery stock may be the birds that have the golden eye color. I have also found conflicting information on the bottom of the foot coloring. LOL I guess you have to raise them to maturity and put them on a scale to actually be able to tell the difference. Here is the Austrailian standard that I found for Australorps. Since they created the breed, I would go with their discription.

COLOURS:
BLACK
Male and Female:
Plumage : Black throughout with lustrous green sheen.
Beak : Black, with allowable gradation of white (horn)
Eye: Black or dark brown iris, black is preferred.
Comb: Face, ear-lobes and wattles bright red
Shanks and Feet: Black, dark slate permitted in adults.
Skin: White
Souls of Feet and Toenails: White

I have the APA standards book here in front of me and it also says dark brown eyes and also jives with the rest of the Austrailian Standards

Back
Top Bottom