HELP! Mean Rooster?!?

I hear ya
1f44d-1f3fb.png
we started off w/the initial 6, mainly because this was our first go w/chickens. And we thought we may lose a couple at least but no, they all managed to live lol. So that leads to our situation today. Also, we had no idea the sex of the chicks either.

Last edited:
I am new to chickens. I had a rooster that was not mean to the hens but he would sometimes attack me or my children. I called the breeder we got him form and they were nice enough to take him back and swap out another rooster for him. the org rooster was a Red Island Red, the new rooster s a Buff Orpington. He is still young but seems to be on the nicer side. Time will tell.
We are a lot happier with the switch even though the Red Island Red was a beautiful chicken!
Chickens are supposed to be fun and if you have a chicken that is making it less than fun....

We've had Buff Orpington roosters (still have one). They become very friendly and make themselves your pets. Ours were also great with their flock of hens, and nice to chicks.

We had a similar situation -- too many roosters and not enough hens. The two roosters were constantly fighting and chasing each other, feathers flying. The hens were being "mounted" all the time, and starting to lose feathers from their backs. I tried various strategies to "fix" the offending rooster but the end result was that he became aggressive towards me and eventually was "retired". The lesson learned from my experience is that raising a flock of chickens is not the same as traditional pets. Chickens have a complex social structure that can't necessarily be orchestrated by their owners. When viewed by humans, they can seem cruel to each other and it is not fun to watch. The current bunch is much calmer and the hens are laying well. Removing that aggressive rooster was tough, but ultimately led to a productive and well run flock by the current sole rooster. That has been my experience-- maybe yours will be different.

Susmith, call ur local tractor supply or co-op on Monday. Ask them if they have a contact that will take the rooster. Most of them do. Get rid of the aggressive rooster, if not both. The longer u wait the harder it will get.

You sound like a loving owner but this situation will not get any better until one or both roos r gone.

We got chicks just like u and one of the pullets was a roo. The older he gets the more protective, controlling, and aggressive he gets with the hens. The older they get the more easily they get stressed.

He needs to go.

I have a questions..... I have 4 hens and 1 Rooster they are all the Same age around 18 weeks old. Is it OK if the hens are not laying eggs yet but the rooster is trying to mate with them? Thanks in advance I am new to chickens

I have a questions..... I have 4 hens and 1 Rooster they are all the Same age around 18 weeks old. Is it OK if the hens are not laying eggs yet but the rooster is trying to mate with them? Thanks in advance I am new to chickens
Hi! and Welcome!
frow.gif
I can't answer your question but if you'll post a shout out in https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/44/new-member-introductions, the eggsperts will answer and provide great resources. Welcome again!
thumbsup.gif

Mutt Farm did you good by pointing you in the direction of the Introductions forum, and they've probably already answered your questions there, but I'll chip in here anyways - yes, as long as the pullets and cockerel are of a comparable size, it should be perfectly fine. A large roo on younger hens, or a roo who starts mating very early could be issues, but approximately 16 weeks and older and the males and females alike will start to display and become more receptive to mating behaviors.

Back
Top Bottom