1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Mink are trying to eat our flock! :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DurhamDuck, Jan 11, 2012.

1. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    Help!

We have a mink & weasel problem in our area. I heard a commotion outside (honking, quaking and hissing), only to go out and find a mink had dug under the fence and was attempting to have duck lunch!

Besides good fencing, does anyone know of a tried and true repellent for keeping the unwanted critters away? I heard bobcat urine works against mink, mice and skunks but this has to be reapplied every few days and all the time if it rains or snows and the stuff is not cheap. Any other product recommendations more affordable but very reliable?

Our ducks and geese are free ranged but inside a large fenced in area with a natural pond and stream. I would hate to lock them up every day all day when no one is home to sit and watch them. They love to forage and swim all day.

[​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I said that all wrong....Go to the "Learning Center", and they have specific info for how to protect your flock from minks and weasels.....

Sorry about that!

Sharon

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  3. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    Thank you! I will check that out.

4. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Minks and Weasels will NOT go away. Best you can do is predator proof your flock at night.
    See my blog for my loss due to a mink. Good Luck!

5. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

You also may want to contact your local fish and game commission to find out if there are any trappers operating in your area.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    most types of urine attract more then they repel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by