HELP! Missing feathers. Previous home bullying or illness THANKS :)

wtjonny

Hatching
Apr 20, 2020
I was wondering if someone could help me out. I picked up these 4 sex link hens that are supposedly 14 months old. The previous owner had 100 chickens running all over his yard. I’m concerned with the way their feather look and are missing in necks and backs. I just wanted to get someone’s opinion if this could be from bullying at the previous owners farm. Their combs seem to be slightly faded. I have also got 1 egg in the 3 days I’ve had them. But I have also chalked that up to just stress of a new coop. No other chickens are with these hens. They seem to be eating all day long I might add. Thanks

Attachments

• A3C4526F-2D0F-4213-B52D-9D747C968A55.jpeg
    A3C4526F-2D0F-4213-B52D-9D747C968A55.jpeg
    467.1 KB · Views: 3
  • AA9D4AE3-FA18-43E0-B646-66EB98822DE7.jpeg
    AA9D4AE3-FA18-43E0-B646-66EB98822DE7.jpeg
    542.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 9210F47C-8CBB-4BAA-884C-1B0F4AEB343F.jpeg
    9210F47C-8CBB-4BAA-884C-1B0F4AEB343F.jpeg
    502.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 0ED9BB48-EFDA-49DC-974A-43B2386C913E.jpeg
    0ED9BB48-EFDA-49DC-974A-43B2386C913E.jpeg
    498.6 KB · Views: 2
I just wanted to get someone’s opinion if this could be from bullying at the previous owners farm.
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Those gals do look a bit rough... Honestly there *may* have been some malnutrition in addition to whatever flock antics were taking place. If the keeper fed a lot of scratch or even only scratch or an excess amount of table scraps..

From what I can see... the skin is NOT angry and red like it would be if this were mainly a parasite issue. Please get a good look below the vent area and see if that is also light pink or angry red skin. Doing so after dark with a flashlight will give a MUCH clearer picture as to if there are any bugs running away also.

Now feathers that are ravaged or broken but not pulled out completely MAY not see ANY improvement until molt.

Suspect the low egg return may be many factors including the move. But also they may still have to recover from the previous stress they were enduring... looks like it was possibly hell!

If you are currently giving them layer feed.. consider using a flock raiser or grower with oyster shell on the side free choice. I personally like the 20% protein purina flock raiser... noting the reason being it is higher in both protein and amino acids (than layer)... which feathers are made 90% from. Those are gonna be some lovely ladies once you've got them settled in well! :love

Make sure them ladies get a little dirt or some form of grit while they are locked in. A little dirt from your current flock will help give them a little exposure to help build some immunity to the different organisms (coccidia strains for example) on their new ground before going out full time. They may enjoy a whole shovel full as general enrichment. Grass, bugs, roots, dirt and all. Fun!

If you see angry red skin or dry "dirt" clumps near the base of feathers when you check below the vent, those are external parasite indicators. Dry dirt actually falls off but that's what eggs sack can be mistaken for easily.

Also please consider getting a group fecal float done to see of they need treatment for internal parasites and make sure to use the right drug since they are coming from another property. But don't treat what you/they don't have, if you can help it. My vet cost around $25/float, but I KNOW there are more affordable vets and mail in labs also. You don't even HAVE to tell them it's for chickens... any dog/cat vet can run the sample.

Hope they recovery to their full glory quickly... and they look quite spry, so it won't surprise me if they all thrive in your care! :fl

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Those gals do look a bit rough... Honestly there *may* have been some malnutrition in addition to whatever flock antics were taking place. If the keeper fed a lot of scratch or even only scratch or an excess amount of table scraps..

From what I can see... the skin is NOT angry and red like it would be if this were mainly a parasite issue. Please get a good look below the vent area and see if that is also light pink or angry red skin. Doing so after dark with a flashlight will give a MUCH clearer picture as to if there are any bugs running away also.

Now feathers that are ravaged or broken but not pulled out completely MAY not see ANY improvement until molt.

Suspect the low egg return may be many factors including the move. But also they may still have to recover from the previous stress they were enduring... looks like it was possibly hell!

If you are currently giving them layer feed.. consider using a flock raiser or grower with oyster shell on the side free choice. I personally like the 20% protein purina flock raiser... noting the reason being it is higher in both protein and amino acids (than layer)... which feathers are made 90% from. Those are gonna be some lovely ladies once you've got them settled in well! :love

Make sure them ladies get a little dirt or some form of grit while they are locked in. A little dirt from your current flock will help give them a little exposure to help build some immunity to the different organisms (coccidia strains for example) on their new ground before going out full time. They may enjoy a whole shovel full as general enrichment. Grass, bugs, roots, dirt and all. Fun!

If you see angry red skin or dry "dirt" clumps near the base of feathers when you check below the vent, those are external parasite indicators. Dry dirt actually falls off but that's what eggs sack can be mistaken for easily.

Also please consider getting a group fecal float done to see of they need treatment for internal parasites and make sure to use the right drug since they are coming from another property. But don't treat what you/they don't have, if you can help it. My vet cost around $25/float, but I KNOW there are more affordable vets and mail in labs also. You don't even HAVE to tell them it's for chickens... any dog/cat vet can run the sample.

Hope they recovery to their full glory quickly... and they look quite spry, so it won't surprise me if they all thrive in your care! :fl
Wow thank so much! Yeah these girls were sold by the 100. The person I had purchased them from was trying flip them and make a little profit. He said he had purchased $2000 worth of laying hens in 2 weeks! So I’m certain they were not cared very well at all. I’m gonna get these girls settled in and filled up with some nutrients. Good cal on the starter feed too by the way. Will make sure they get everything they need

Back
Top Bottom