HELP MITES

Hmmm...possibly Ivermectin??? And when worming with Wazine most observe an egg withdrawal. It really comes down to whether someone might react to the active ingredients in the med/treatment. You're not supposed to eat the meat/eggs when giving antibiotics. But I've used amoxicillin and my husband/son ate the eggs just fine. I'm allergic to amoxicillin, so I did not eat the eggs for two weeks. But most folks don't know whether they'd have an issue with some wormers or meds, so would not risk it. I've used Frontline on my cats/dogs (and even my alpacas) many times, and gotten it on my hands and such. So I don't think anything of eating an egg from a hen that's been treated topically... But my way is not necessarily the best way!!

Everything seemed to be going well until it started getting hot, since it gets over 100 degrees here, we had to turn on the misters ( or risk losing our flock) and it makes everything damp. The mite population has EXPLODED because now it warm and moist and I don't know what to do.
barnie.gif

Do you guys just put the poultry dust all over the coop and leave it in there? Do the chickens eat it?
The thing with dust is that you often end up with more on YOU than on the birds.  At least with drops, it's very strategic.  Adams flea and tick spray may work as well - but Frontline is my go-to spray around here.  Works on chickens, alpacas...plus dogs and cats :p

I was planing on getting the ivermectin pour on and putting drops on my chickens necks. Do you prefer the front line over the ivermectin? Do you have a pic of the bottle?

Everything seemed to be going well until it started getting hot, since it gets over 100 degrees here, we had to turn on the misters ( or risk losing our flock) and it makes everything damp. The mite population has EXPLODED because now it warm and moist and I don't know what to do. :barnie

I'm going through the same situation! I bought a big bottle of poultry dust and a serious mask at Home Depot. I'm planning on dusting everyone tomorrow and cleaning everything out! Then following up with drops on their necks in one week and then once a month. Also going to use DE as a preventive once this is cleared up. It's so hot and rainy here and I never had a problem before until now. It's so bad!

Permethrin comes as a dust or liquid to be mixed and sprayed. It works fine, just follow directions and wear a N95 dust mask! I clean out the bedding and apply some of the dust on the floor under the new bedding, and next time I'm getting the liquid to spray the walls too. Dusting each bird individually works fine but is a royal pain; do it at night when they are roosting. I do use Ivermectin on each bird as an totally unapproved alternative, and don't eat eggs for a week or so. Ivermectin is used in food animals, pets, and humans, all over the world. Frontline IS NOT approved for any food animals in the USA, and last I looked, only a couple of countries on cattle with a very long withdrawal period. It's fine for dogs and cats, but there's no reason to use it on chickens!!! Lots of things are easy and effective, but you are eating those eggs! Mary

Permethrin comes as a dust or liquid to be mixed and sprayed.  It works fine, just follow directions and wear a N95 dust mask!  I clean out the bedding and apply some of the dust on the floor under the new bedding, and next time I'm getting the liquid to spray the walls too.  Dusting each bird individually works fine but is a royal pain;  do it at night when they are roosting.  I do use Ivermectin on each bird as an totally unapproved alternative, and don't eat eggs for a week or so.  Ivermectin is used in food animals, pets, and humans, all over the world.  Frontline IS NOT approved for any food animals in the USA, and last I looked, only a couple of countries on cattle with a very long withdrawal period.  It's fine for dogs and cats, but there's no reason to use it on chickens!!!  Lots of things are easy and effective, but you are eating those eggs!  Mary

I had a bad bug outbreak. It took me 6 hours but I did dust each bird individually, very thoroughly while wearing a mask approved for pesticides. Then cleaned everything top to bottom and put some dust under the clean bedding. Checked them the next day and could not find 1 single bug! It was very effective. I plan on using drops of ivermectin in 1 week on their necks.

My only remaining hen has mites at the moment, so I need to get this issue sorted before I can bring in some friends for her! I've sprayed with pyrethrum in the coop, and purchased a chicken specific mite spray, as well as Penstene (a derris and sulfur powder). I got covered in mites myself, so I feel bad for them knowing how itchy they made ME! I will try the tip of using garlic and vinegar in their water. Thanks for the info

I managed to get my mites under control! For some reason the mites attacked my older hens more, so I ended up giving them all baths. I used a non-toxic, natural, gentle dish soap and some warm water and then rinsed in a water and vinegar mixture. After a lovely blow dry I put a little coconut oil on them ( to help the oils on their feathers). Then I cleaned and dusted the coop on a regular basis and kept a dust bath handy. In a couple of weeks I checked again, mites are gone.

Just get an dunk bucket assembly line.
big_smile.png
Or just giving you older ones and badly infested ones baths. Your older ones need it the most because they need all the iron they have, without the mites helping themselves.

Back
Top Bottom