Help Momma Goat died leaving month old baby

Sugar Sand Farm

Songster
12 Years
Apr 24, 2007
North Florida
My husbands friend called yesterday She asked him to take a month old baby goat. Its mother died from snake bite and she was not able to care for the baby. He brought it home but I can not get it to drink milk. She gave us several bags of frozen goats milk but it will not take the nipple. It is eating goat pellets and forageing in the yard . I managed to get it to drink 2 oz out of a bowl but thats it. Is it too early to wean him from milk? Any goat people out there with any suggestions would be appreciated. So far it appears healthy but I'm worried that it is not getting any milk. My other baby goat took the bottle for three months without any problem He took it eagerly. This one just turns his head and will not open his mouth without force. Help!!!

Perhaps he is not hungry enough. When my mom would try to give the bottle to calves who she was concerned were not nursing well (cows had bad bags) she would offer it and if they were hungry they would take it eagerly. If they had been getting enough from mom they were less likely to take it or would take less. Perhaps this little guy is just getting full on the other stuff and getting his liquids from the water you have out. I don't have any experience with goats. Maybe someone else has some better ideas.

Micki - go to www.goatweb.com. This website is like the BYC of goats. Lots of nice people. Good luck!!
smile.png

Last edited:
I know it sounds mean but take all food away till it is hungry. Keep offering it the bottle every few hours. Eventually it will eat.

I agree, go to goat web and join. They can tell you anything there is to know about goats. Lots of great folks there. Keep checking the rumen to make sure it is functioning. If the goat is eating and not drinking, it could get impacted. So I would agree with cutting back on the feed and trying harder on the milk right now. But I am no expert. So go to goat web or there are lots of others. I have links to alot of info on my web page.

http://www.freewebs.com/downsouthminis/

Hope things work out. Post some pictures. What kind of goat is it?

Marie

Marie Thanks He is drinking about 25-30oz of milk a day and eating the weeds but only alittle bit of pellets. We found he would not take a bottle at all but I tried a bowl of milk and he took it so that is the way we are feeding him. He seems alittle droopy but last night we got another little goat to keep him company. Our friend (the farmer) loaned us a 1 1/2 month old to keep him company He is a boar/spanish mix Hopefully he will make it. I ordered some Nutri drench from Hoeggers to help pick him up that shoudl arrive today so we will see. Thanks for the links We have other goats but they were weaned when we got them and we don't really have any experience taking care of babies. Thanks again Micki

I have Nigerian Dwarfs and have weanened them off the bottle at two months. We always use Vit D milk, when feeding try to get the nipple into the side of the mouth right behind the teeth. I have found this to work much better. Just make sure he is eating something. Make sure you are using a goat feed or calf cruch. Goats cannot have too much copper so watch that. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom