HELP, mother hen pecking babies

mg37

In the Brooder
May 15, 2022
I had an old English bantam hatch 5 baby chicks about 3 weeks ago. Today I kept hearing painful peeps. I went and checked on them throughout the day. She is plucking their feathers and eating them. One is now bleeding because she won’t stop and they’re staying away from her. I since took her out. Should I keep them separated? Should I put her back with the rest of the flock? Should I give her extra protein and put her back in?

Where are you keeping them? What is the temperature? Are they able to forage on their own already? What about the other chickens? It is always best for a broody to continue raising them until she is no longer wanting to be with them, so they learn from her, and she protects them from the others. Can you try giving her some scrambled egg or tuna? Then watch her behavior with them. What are you feeding them?Hopefully, they are on chick starter or an all flock feed. Do you have a heated brooder to put them in temporarily?

Where are you keeping them? What is the temperature? Are they able to forage on their own already? What about the other chickens? It is always best for a broody to continue raising them until she is no longer wanting to be with them, so they learn from her, and she protects them from the others. Can you try giving her some scrambled egg or tuna? Then watch her behavior with them. What are you feeding them?Hopefully, they are on chick starter or an all flock feed. Do you have a heated brooder to put them in temporarily?
We are keeping them in the basement in a giant brooder box it’s about 5’x5’. The basement is at a constant 50 degrees and they a small supplement heat in the corner. All the other chickens are outside. We brought her inside before they hatched because the temps were below 20. I am feeding all the chicks and mom chick starter. Yes, the chicks are in a heated brooder currently while mom is separated until I figure out what to do.

I wonder if she is just tired of taking care of them, but cannot get away from them. Unfortunately with them not being in with the other chickens, they would be attacked putting them in the coop now. So I suppose you will need to keep them separated from the broody if she continues to peck out their feathers. I usually keep mine in a dog crate with food and water for 2 days, then open the door so the broody will take them out into the flock at least by the 3rd day. Of course, I have always brooded in warmer temperatures.

I did have a broody once who abandoned her flock after 2 weeks. It was cool, but not wintertime yet. Since there were about 6 chicks, they piled into a nest box on the floor to stay warm. During the daytime, they would forage with all of the big hens and rooster. I suppose they did so well because the others had become used to them as part of their flock, and the chicks just knew to stick together. I hope that your chicks do well.

Update: I separated her last night, gave her some eggs this morning. Put her back in again, still pecking them. Took her back out. Have her some tuna & tried to put her in at night, still pecking them.

I would take her out and leave her in the coop. The hen will keep attacking the chicks if there is any blood on them. The chicks should be find on their own in the basement for awhile.

Sorry it is not working out, but it looks like you are going to have to raise the chicks in the brooder. If you have any pictures of the chicks and any wounds to post tomorrow, that would be good.

English bantam hatch 5 baby chicks about 3 weeks ago.

We are keeping them in the basement in a giant brooder box it’s about 5’x5’.
To me, it sounds like she's done with them.
While 3weeks, the chicks are still quite small, but sometimes in a small space, Mama just has enough of it.

Some hens love to sit and hatch, but they don't necessarily want chicks for more than a few weeks. I've had them be done at a couple of weeks old and I've had them brood and sleeps with chicks up to around 14-16 weeks old. Every hen is different.

I'd put Mama back with her flock, hopefully integration won't be too rough on her if she's been separated out for a while. Finish brooding the chicks until they are mature enough to join the flock, then begin the integration process.

Back
Top Bottom