HELP !!!! My 14 wk old SS looks like Dolly Parton !

poultrypatch

Songster
10 Years
Aug 15, 2009
Rochester
Hi all...
Yesterday I noticed that one of my SS had a huge lump on one side of her chest. When I picked her up it was her crop. Didn't know what to do so I kept rubbing it in hopes it would move. She kept vomiting on me but it didn't go down. I brought her in and put her in the laundry room in a dog crate, gave her water, which she took small sips of. Then the lump divided and it was on both sides....hence, the Dolly Parton look. Kept her in all night, which she loved. I made her small amts of a mash yesterday which she ate. Still eating this morning. I brought her back out to see if perhaps running around with her friends would help.
It's back on one side. I noticed that she opens her beak and sticks her neck out...like it's stuck and she's trying to bring it up. The area feels soft and pliable.
When I fed her I mixed her food with water, milk, ACV, and a small amt of olive oil. A soft gruel.
I had read prior posts regarding impacted crop but it doesn't seem to be helping. ANY other suggestions that I can try for Sparkles ??? She's only 13 wks and not laying.
Thanks in advance.
Liz
Rochester, MA

her crop is suppose to look like that it means she has a full belly or crop in this case its like their stomach if she was vomiting then you were pushing it to hard it and shes just yawning mine do it too

edited to say i dont think she has an impacted crop i think she just had a good meal

Last edited:
chickenbottom....YOU'RE KIDDING !!! It doesn't look normal...or like the other girls. I just hope you're right. Anyway, she now wants to be a house chicken. She's such a nice girl.
Thanks a lot for your input. Appreciate it.
Liz
Rochester, MA

Quote:
lol nope the crop gets huge when they eat my yam who is with me right now just ate a whole bunch of food and his crop is huge and now hes tuckering down to sleep it off for a little while it goes down and she will fill it up tomorrow lol she sounds like shes fine if shes acting fine she most likely is

Ok ....I'll try and relax. LOL Just get worried about the "kids"....you probably know how that goes.
Thanks.
Liz
Rochester, MA

The time to worry about a bulging crop is in the morning after they haven't eaten all night. That's when it should be pretty much flat.

I look for bulging crops as a sign they're getting enough to eat. They like to go to sleep with full crops, and it makes me feel like i did a good job.
roll.png

Yeah...I was really worried over one of my girls once, and was told that's the test. Put food away for the night (so they can't sneak snacks) and check first thing in the morning, at which time the big mass should have gone down (digested). Guess that's why they poop so much over night. So check her first thing in the morning...

Thanks to all of you that replied to my post. Sparkles "appears" ok. She's active and eating, drinking. I guess I just saw that huge bulge and paniced. Perhaps it was envy on my part ?? LOL
I'll try and not go hysterical next time. Yes, they have food 24/7 so she probably stuffed herself. Seems like those two 12 # feeders are always close to empty. I guess Sparkles is just a piggy !
Liz
Rochester, MA

Back
Top Bottom