HELP! My 4 day old barred rock has pasty butt and is not moving!

Deeregirl

Hatching
10 Years
May 13, 2009
This afternoon all chicks seemed fine, but I just checked on them and one of my barred rocks would not get up or open his/her eyes. I picked it up and noticed its butt was pasty. I cleaned it off with warm water and very gently squeezed it's butt and some poop did come out, and it did peep and open it's eyes, but it still is still very lethargic and I don't know what else to do. Please help!!

See if you can dip the end of its beak in sugar water to get it drinking. A little bit of plain yogurt would work for a bit of nutritional supplement. If she is really poor just a little bit of scrambled egg chopped up fine and offer it.

You might want to create a little divider in your brooder so she can stay quiet and not get disturbed by the other chicks.

Make sure it is drinking plenty of water with vitamins and electrolytes in it or sugar or gatorade. You can put some vaseline on its vent to help keep it clean.
You may have to give it some sugar/etc. water with a syringe to make sure it gets nourishment. You can also put a few drops of mineral or veg. oil in its mouth too.
Good luck

Thank you for your help, sadly, she just died
sad.png

I just hope that the rest will be ok.

So sorry, keep an eye on those backsides. With my chicks I checked morning and night for pasty butt. Be sure to change water often and I was told only to do sugar water for a week.

Best wishes with the rest of your babies.

Back
Top Bottom