HELP!! MY BABY DUCK COULD BE HUNTED FOR SPORT BEHIND MY BACK!!!!!

Anytime. As a hunter and pet owner I do have to say that I would never knowingly shoot anyones pet, whether it be a duck, deer or whatever. Just remember though there are those types out there. Also check on the internet about the hunting season dates, this may help if they are already involved in any illegal hunting. Not sure what pinioning is? I've never owned any ducks, but have been looking into this. Keep us updated on any ideas you come up with.

Honestly, I would build a nice enclosure for her that you both can enjoy. I know of people who have great enclosures where they can also sit and relax in or even watch TV. I would think twice about pinioning as it is permanent and still doesn't fully protect your duck. Best bet is to keep her on your property. Which is more important, keeping her safe and heathy, or allowing her complete freedom? If it is the latter, than you have to live with the risks that something might happen to her.

I also agree with checking when hunting season is. In my area, it's usually in November through January. Some seasons start in fall or spring. Doesn't mean that your duck is safe during non-hunting times, though, because there will always be someone who will break the rules.

It seems like you have some unrealistic expectations, Matilda hen. When you own animals, it is your job to protect them from predators. Humans are predators every bit as much as weasels or raccoons. Find a way to keep your duck safe on your property. Expecting hunters to distinguish between wild mallards and your pet puts the burden of caring for your pet on other people. It isn't their responsibility.

The good news is, housing requirements for ducks are pretty easy to satisfy. Build your duck an enclosure and you give it protection from both humans and all the wild predators that are likely to be an even greater threat, particularly outside of hunting season.

Most hunters probably wouldn't shoot, say, a pekin duck because it's obviously domestic. But with mallards, they won't be able to tell the difference since mallards are wild as well. In order to keep your duck safe, you should clip her wings and keep her in a secure pen. It's unfortunate that she won't be able to free range, but maybe you can fence in a large area of your yard for her to roam around in while you supervise her.

If it is any consolation - my ducks like their pen. They go there willingly at night & I made it large enough they can have a big, black tub in there when they can't free range.
I wish they could free range all the time, but between neighbor dogs, racoons, the huge eagles that routinely circle the property, the fact that people are weird... etc, I would rather KNOW when I am at work, or going to bed, that they are safe & sound. I realize it does not mean they are ever 100% safe, but I also know my pen has survived dog attacks, hurricanes, huge blizzards, and at least one skunk's attempt to find some eggs.
I should also say that I am the least "handy" person on the planet. Tools belong to two families - the whoozit, or the whatsit family, as far as I am concerned. (Last week I asked my friend if he had a "vice grip" he said - "You're holding one". It turned out I was looking for "C Clamps". Despite my ineptitude with these foreign objects, I designed & built my duck coop BY MYSELF, and it is the best coop on the place.
These are domesticated animals. I think they feel safer with a pen to go to.

Think of it this way: Say you have a dog and it likes to wander across a busy road where it can be hit by a car. Would you tell people they can't legally drive on that road or hold them liable for your dog running loose? The same goes for any pet whether it is a duck, a horse, or even a pet lion.

By the way, it's not illegal to shoot ducks on the ground or on the water in all areas. Some hunters find it unethical or unsportsmanlike, but it's not illegal in all states. Plus, some people don't care and think they can do whatever they want as long as they don't get caught.

I agree with the others, clip her if you dont want her shot. I would also suggest contacting the DNR, there are hunting seasons for a reason and if their hunting EVERY sunday they are poaching and need to be turned in.

It seems like you have some unrealistic expectations, Matilda hen. When you own animals, it is your job to protect them from predators. Humans are predators every bit as much as weasels or raccoons. Find a way to keep your duck safe on your property. Expecting hunters to distinguish between wild mallards and your pet puts the burden of caring for your pet on other people. It isn't their responsibility.

The good news is, housing requirements for ducks are pretty easy to satisfy. Build your duck an enclosure and you give it protection from both humans and all the wild predators that are likely to be an even greater threat, particularly outside of hunting season.

This exactly.

She should be caged because in addition to hunters, there are fox, coyotes, neighbor's dogs, owls, hawks and other predators that could eat her. If she's a beloved pet, you might want to consider building her a large enclosure. Ours seem content to roam our fenced-in yard during the day and sleep in their covered pens at night--and the pens were cheap to build. I just took 2 x 4s and made an A-Frame shape out of them and used fencing and netting all around it to keep them in and owls and such out. After we lost a duck to an owl, I'm paranoid.

Back
Top Bottom