HELP!! MY BABY DUCK COULD BE HUNTED FOR SPORT BEHIND MY BACK!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Matilda hen, May 27, 2012.

1. Matilda hen

Matilda hen Songster

Apr 11, 2012
    Ireland
    My Coop
    well i have a 1 week old mallard duckling! we didnt know what she was until she hatched! our fears are that she will be hunted. every sunday at a fied behind our house there are hunters! they will shoot anything! a duck would be a priza catch for them! bella is a mallard and if she manages to fly , they will shoot her! we cant pen her in , and clipping her wings would be pointless as she could still hop in to the field or swim across the ditch! if she did and i waasnt there they would happily shoot her to eat! i love her and could not live with this! i need these fears for her adult life to end!! please how can i prevent this the hunters say if its on there land they can shoot it? there is no reasoning! help?[​IMG]

2. Hellinahelmet

Hellinahelmet In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Georgia
    notify law enforcement they threatened your pet? keep the duck well secured until you come to a resolution

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    You build a fully enclosed secure pen. People don't eat mallards, they are shot to be stuffed normally as a trophy. If you want her safe, you will ake the needed steps.

4. Matilda hen

Matilda hen Songster

Apr 11, 2012
    Ireland
    My Coop
    the thing is , if she wanders on there land they legally can do what they want! and stuffing her is worse again! they have been known to shoot mallards! that must be why?! and i guess ill have to do something before shes big! :/[​IMG]

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    What about Pinioning?

1 person likes this.
  6. Hellinahelmet

Hellinahelmet In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Georgia
    yes pinion her/him. hunters can only legally shoot a duck in flight. that gives you a leg to stand on.

7. Matilda hen

Matilda hen Songster

Apr 11, 2012
    Ireland
    My Coop
    ok! thanks then! ill pull that one! THANKS!! you may have just saved bella's life! thankyou so much , i love her so so so much [​IMG]

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  9. collardgreen

collardgreen Hatching

Mar 8, 2012
    Florida
    They do eat mallards and they are not shot just to "stuff".Contacting law enforcement would be useless unless the hunters came on your property or shot your duck while it was on your property. Your safest bet is to do as suggested and build a secure pen or enclosure. Good luck.

10. Matilda hen

Matilda hen Songster

Apr 11, 2012
    Ireland
    My Coop
    thankyou collardgreen , i did tghink they ate them! and i knoiw about the law , its silly she is a pet , part of the family and its ridiculous that she should be caged beacause they cant go to the supermarket instead!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: