HELP! MY BANTAM IS SICK!!!

I gave her medicated chick starter that has Corid in it.

Are you sure? I've bathed my chickens for a long time and I've had no death/sickness issues. Neither have people I know/heard of who do it.
No that won't treat cocci, not at all. You need CORID or something called Cocci-Rid, which is Amprolium in concentrated form as others just said. I do not feed medicated chick starter because it truly does little to control coccidiosis anyway because it is in super low doses, only to prevent, not to treat an active case, and I treat with Corid if I see signs of it as they grow.

My wife bathed a sick Polish of ours last week while I was at work. It wasn't in good shape at all but the bath killed it. Nail in the coffin so to speak. It literally died in her arms within 5 minutes after. She felt so guilty. I, of course downplayed it and said that it wasn't her fault. With that said, NEVER bathe a sick bird! Wishing you the best for your lil one!

Last edited:
My wife bathed a sick Polish of ours last week while I was at work. It wasn't in good shape at all but the bath killed it. Nail in the coffin so to speak. It literally died in her arms within 5 minutes after. She felt so guilty. I, of course downplayed it and said that it wasn't her fault. With that said, NEVER bathe a sick bird! Wishing you the best for your lil one!
I'm so sorry for your bird.
She looks fine after the bathing, but I won't do it again just to be sure.

I bathed a chicken with a stuck egg and she got better. She never passed the egg though. The bath never hurt her only helped her she died after a day of not having a bath. I think that you just have to be carful. Baths do not ALWAYS kill chickens. Her chicken did not die from the bath and neither did mine.

I bathed a chicken with a stuck egg and she got better. She never passed the egg though. The bath never hurt her only helped her she died after a day of not having a bath. I think that you just have to be carful. Baths do not ALWAYS kill chickens. Her chicken did not die from the bath and neither did mine.
I must say I agree with you, I could imagine the warm water would be soothing and the epsom salt would help bring her sickness down. She's doing noticably a lot better, and I didn't even give her corid. She pooped yesterday and it was perfectly formed, not watery or bloody!

Being egg bound isn't the same as being sick. Getting a SICK chicken wet is almost always a death sentence. It lowers their body temp drastically when drying, which is often fatal.

Being egg bound isn't the same as being sick. Getting a SICK chicken wet is almost always a death sentence. It lowers their body temp drastically when drying, which is often fatal.
I hear your point but I've never lost a chicken to bathing, and I've been doing it for a long time. I bathe them in warm water and let them dry off in the sun. (I only ever bathe them when it's sunny and warm out, though.)

I hear your point but I've never lost a chicken to bathing, and I've been doing it for a long time. I bathe them in warm water and let them dry off in the sun. (I only ever bathe them when it's sunny and warm out, though.)
And I'm saying it's not good to encourage bathing sick chickens. It works until it doesn't. It's not recommended by vets or people with decades of experience.

Glad she's feeling better! I would still give her the corid for the time it says to..7-10 days?? Confirm on BYC before you hold me to that:) Don't want a relapse..

My Sebright/OEGB has been acting really slow today. She walks slow, clucks weaker than usual, and won't run up to me when I shake a bag of mealworms. I gave her an epsom salt bath for about ten minutes, because I heard that it could save a dying chicken.

Anything you say on this thread will be greatly appriciated. I don't want to lose her.
Here's what her poop looks like...
View attachment 3305992
Hi I had this happen to my one of mine and this is what I did and it worked. mix up the following, 1. large had full of oregano finely chopped, juice from an aloha leaf, and one table spoon Neem oil, mix well, thank add about 3 cups of water and mix well. change the water and add 1 table spoon to the fresh water and do this twice a day for at least 5 days. That is what I did and my Bantam Paddy is doing fine and back sitting on my shoulder. Good luck

Cliff

Back
Top Bottom