Help my brooder heater is too big

My producers pride brooder heater is too large to place in the plastic box I planned on using. Only getting no more them 10 chicks . What should I do , should I hang it above the brooder.
I don't brood indoors but some people do use the spare bathroom. I can't remember the details of how the lady I saw doing that had it set up. They will make a mess. I'd worry about the drain getting plugged, especially if you use bedding in the tub. By two weeks they could be flying all over. Hopefully someone that has done that will post some details and how it worked out. From what I saw I was not favorably impressed. More than your bathtub may be stained.

What temperatures will you have in Mississippi when you are brooding the chicks? Do you have a garage or outbuilding that has electricity that you could use? Are there any adults in the coop and can you get electricity to it? Depending on what your coop looks like you may be able to brood in there.

A popular way to brood chicks is to use a garage or outbuilding. I'm not sure what that specific heat plate is rated for, some say don't use them in less than 50 Fahrenheit. Put cardboard down to protect your floor from being stained by the poop. If you can get a large appliance box use that, many appliance stores give them away. Or get two if one is not big enough and tape them together. Put bedding on the floor so you can clean it out. Put your heat plate in that like it is supposed to be used. When you are finished compost it or throw it away. I can't think of anything cheaper or simpler but I don't know what outbuildings you have to work with.

Was thinking about brooding in coop it is 90% complete yes can get power , out Temps right now are so unpredictable, last week it got down in the 30s this week 70s , am worried about the severe temp shifts . It is supposed to get back down in 40s next week.

Was thinking about brooding in coop it is 90% complete yes can get power , out Temps right now are so unpredictable, last week it got down in the 30s this week 70s , am worried about the severe temp shifts . It is supposed to get back down in 40s next week.

if I can brood them in coop I can do a Heat lamp instead of heat plate ,will that keep it warm enough . ?Got the heat plate to keep my children safe since I planned on doing it indoors

I use a heat lamp and brood in the coop. The biggest problem with brooding out of doors is the temperature swings you mention. From below freezing to in the 70's F in a day happens. You need to keep one spot warm enough in the coldest conditions and a spot cool enough in the warmest conditions. I do that by wrapping my 3' x 6' brooder in plastic to hold in the heat and heating one end. It is large enough and has ventilation so the far end cools off as needed. Some mornings the far end may have ice in it but the heated end is toasty. When it warms up the chicks go to the far end.

The heat plate only provides heat in one small place. To me that is a good thing about them as long as they can handle low temperatures. Some can, some say they can't. One member uses both. She uses a heat plate but also hangs a heat lamp. If it gets cold use the heat lamp to warm the general area so the heat plate will work.

If you use a heat lamp do not depend on that clamp. I'd suggest removing it so you are not tempted to depend in it. Use chain or wire to hold the lamp in place so it cannot fall or get knocked off. By using chain or wire instead of that clamp, plastic that can melt or string that can burn, I think you get rid of most of the fire danger.

My brooder plate is from Producer's Pride. If it doesn't fit in your brooder then your brooder is WAY TOO SMALL. :)

For very new baby chicks -- the first couple weeks -- you need at least 1/2 square foot per chick.

For the next several weeks you increase to 1 square foot per chick minimum.

Then 2 square feet per chick up to about 10-12 weeks.

After that, 4 square feet per bird like adults. :)

img_20230202_111130753-jpg.3393456

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/brooding-with-mama-heating-pad.67728/

I've been using a heating pad for several years since reading the above article. Just remember they do grow FAST. I start off in plastic bins for the first 2wks then they go out to the brooder (3x3x2) in the patio with the MHP set up. They stay in there for at least 8wks most times longer. I don't keep many but do raise for others since the brooder is sizeable and I enjoy the growing stage.

Yes you can use a bathtub, I'd recommend closing the drain (maybe even tape some plastic over it) and then lining the entire thing in paper towels, with bedding on top. You will need to make a lid (I use a sheet of hardware cloth duct taped to cardboard to make a frame to prevent it from scratching the tub) to prevent them from escaping.

However a typical bathtub would be too small for 10 chicks for long, so that's something to keep in mind - they can stay in there maybe 2 weeks before they'll need to move to something larger.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/brooding-with-mama-heating-pad.67728/

I've been using a heating pad foears since reading the above article. Just remember they do grow FAST. I start off in plastic bins for the first 2wks then they go out to the brooder (3x3x2) in the patio with the MHP set up. They stay in there for at least 8wks most times longer. I don't keep many but do raise for others since the brooder is sizeable and I enjoy the growing stage.

Yall are awesome thanks so much for the advice. I think I have come up with a plan to keep them in dog crate take top off and use bottom it's plastic , producers pride heater fits with plenty of room to spare and room for feeder water. Then after 2 weeks or less move them into empty coop the heater and heat lamp. That should give me enough time to complete coop( adding more ventilation ,nestins and vinyl to floor) hopefully the Temps will stay above 45_50 at night. I do have plenty tarps to wrap leaving vents open at tip if Temps drop . I will have to keep awill

n eye out for them overheating in daytime

T

My brooder plate is from Producer's Pride. If it doesn't fit in your brooder then your brooder is WAY TOO SMALL. 

For very new baby chicks -- the first couple weeks -- you need at least 1/2 square foot per chick.

For the next several weeks you increase to 1 square foot per chick minimum.

Then 2 square feet per chick up to about 10-12 weeks.

After that, 4 square feet per bird like adults. 

thanks so much I think I am trying to get too many ch4x8xs as well. Coop is 4x8x5. Think I will use bottom of dog crate plastic ,plenty of room for heater and food water, and for chicks to get out of heat. 2 weeks I will transfer to brand new almost complete coop.

Back
Top Bottom